ERROR FindLicenseServersJob - Cannot check for licenses on server

I am an absolute beginner on Knime. I have installed Knime on my Mac. I am trying to learn how to create a REST API for a workflow, so using the Rest_API_sentiment_Prediction example. The example seems to execute (green light for all nodes), but I cant seem to be able to access the web server for the API in my browser when I try to load http://localhost:8080/knime/rest. I get the below message in the console log. Any tips on how to get it to work, so I can call the rest api via a browser/postman?

*** Welcome to KNIME Analytics Platform v4.3.1.v202101261633 ***
*** Copyright by KNIME AG, Zurich, Switzerland ***

Log file is located at: /Users/ash/knime-workspace/.metadata/knime/knime.log
ERROR FindLicenseServersJob Cannot check for licenses on server 'http://localhost:8080/knime/rest: Connection refused (Connection refused)
WARN MoePreferencePage Path to MOE not set in Preferences. Please check!

Hi @asheesh

Welcome to the KNIME community forum!

A silly question, do you have a KNIME Server installation?

Having a workflow as a REST service is only available through the KNIME Server which is a commercial product.

Best,
Temesgen

I realised my folly last night, the server is not part of the Knime desktop installation.

Anyway, I created a Knime account and tried to deploy an Rest API example to the Knime Hub. It seems to deploy to the Hub, but I am not sure how to access it via Postman, I don’t seem to get the option to ‘Show api definition’ when I right click the workflow in the explorer panel (KNIME Server REST API - YouTube).

Any help would be much appriciated.

You still need a proper KNIME Server to deploy your workflow as a REST service. With the KNIME Hub you have the ability to store/share/collaborate on workflows, but not to execute workflows.

Hope this helps,
Temesgen

I suspected that was the case. Is there any documentation/video on installing the Knime Server on AWS and accessing it from Knime Analytics? I tried to install the free trial on AWS, but got a bit lost after the installation was complete. It would be very helpful if there was documentation on how to install and use the Knime server on AWS.

Is there a ‘managed’ Knime Server service available?

There is a documentation around using KNIME Server on AWS (KNIME Server on AWS Marketplace)

Regarding a ‘managed’ Knime Server service, I am not so sure. I will get back to you after asking internally.

Best,
Temesgen

@asheesh Thanks for your inquiry. Depending on your definition of Managed Service, we have various partners who provide this type of professional services. If you want to provide some additional detail of what you are looking for, please email partners@knime.com and we’ll be happy to get back to you with some recommendations.

–Paul
VP Partnerships, KNIME

2 Likes