ESRI Geodatabase support

Hi All,

Has anyone discovered a way of implementing a connection to read/write to ESRI Geodatabases?

This would be an extremely useful feature to have, and open up a lot more doors for the geospatial users of KNIME.

Thanks,

Hi @sv,

I’m not an expert in the field of ESRI Geodatabases, so please correct me if I’m wrong, but as far as I understood a geodatabse can be stored in almost any kind of relational database system. These you can easily connect to with the Database Framework implemented in KNIME or am I mistakting something?

Best,
Marten

Hi Marten,

Thanks for your comment.
ESRI geodatabases can typically be stored as ‘File geodatabases’ which appear in your explorer system as folders. I haven’t been able to connect to them using any of the out of the box solutions in KNIME.
More information about the types of geodatabases can be found here:
http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/geodatabases/types-of-geodatabases.htm

Hi @sv,

Of the three types on that page, it seems like for type:

• You would need a custom KNIME node that understands the native file format as well as the directory structure.
    • Use a standard KNIME database connector.

It sounds like you are personally using type 1 and so are looking for KNIME node that understands this type of storage? Node Pit does have nodes for ESRI shape files ( https://nodepit.com/category/community/esri ) but i wasn’t able to quickly locate something for the type 1 scenario.

Hi Quaeler,

Yep that is correct, File Geodatabases are ideal. I have used the community shapefile nodes before, however it is very uncommon to use a shapefile rather than a feature class which is stored inside a geodatabase due to a number of constraints that shapefiles have over using geodatabases.

It would be great if someone were able to knock up a driver to interpret the file geodatabases, unfortunately it is outside my skill set :(.

@sv You can convert the .gdb files .kml or .shp files and they can be read into knime using GeoSpatial Nodes (Eg. Read From KML node)

Thanks
Sudheer

1 Like