execute knime workflow everyday automatically

Hi,
I would like to share an issue. I have created a knime workflow. I need to execute this workflow everyday. Currently, I am doing manually such as open knime, reset the node and execute. But i am planning to automate this task. For this reason, i did a short research regarding how can i automate.
First, I found about knime server. But as far as I know, my workplace doesn’t have access of knime server because it is paid version. So i think it is not possible in that way.
Second option is Power Automate Desktop/ UI Path. Regarding Power Automate Desktop what I have seen that it is not convenient to integrate with knime workflow. (I might be wrong)
Now, I have only solution left.It’s UI Path. My workplace has licensed UI Path. So my question is that is it possible to automate using UI Path. If possible, could anyone please provide the implementation process ?

Regards,
Ekram

I have not tried it with UI Path and I am not an RPA guy. With Power Automate it should be possible but certainly the easiest way to do this is using the windows task scheduler and run a batch file.
maybe that could be an option for you
br

2 Likes

thanks Daniel for the suggestion. I will try your solution. Can you provide a hint regarding batch file? What command does the batch file contain? This is kind of 1st project of mine. I am almost new to this area.

Regards,
Ekram

You can find details about how to run batch in the following link: https://www.knime.com/faq

As a very simple example, I created a workflow that outputted some randomly generated data to a .csv file. I then exported this workflow as a .knwf file and ran it using the following code that I saved as a .bat file:

"C:\Program Files\KNIME\knime.exe" -reset -nosave -nosplash -application org.knime.product.KNIME_BATCH_APPLICATION -workflowFile="C:/temp/CreateCSVFile.knwf"

Where C:\Program Files\KNIME\knime.exe (with back slashes) is the location of where your KNIME.exe file is stored and C:/temp/CreateCSVFile.knwf (with forward slashes) is the location of your KNIME workflow.

NOTE: Batch for some reason doesn’t like relative file paths, so either use a Local Path for any reading/writing nodes, or a custom path (eg. KNIME://knime.workflow/./myCSVFile.csv).

There’s a few other ways to get KNIME to run in Batch mode but this is a reasonable starter for ten.

5 Likes

Hi @emshihab , what @dpowyslybbe has suggested is usually the way to go if you don’t have a Knime server.

By executing your workflow via the command line, you don’t need any third-party application. You can just add the command to your windows scheduler and it will execute based on that schedule - that is assuming your computer is on at that time.

2 Likes

thanks @dpowyslybbe . I am trying to run your solution

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.