Export data from Knime to Excel dynamic cross tab

Hello everyone !

I just started using Knime for data analysis with xls files but i have a question in terms of exporting my result after using knime. Here’s my problem : like i said i have a xls file that i’m importing on knime, i’m using knime to modify this file. I would like to know is it possible to automaticaly make a dynamic cross tab with an excel extension of knime or something else at the end of the workflow ?

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Adrien

Hi there @AdrienR,

welcome to KNIME Community Forum!

not sure I understand. You want to export modified data back to same Excel file only different sheet or something else? If my first guess is right there is Excel Sheet Appender node which can do the job done. If that is not the case can you explain it a bit more?

Additionally you might find useful Continental nodes for KNIME which make it possible to add formatting and advanced settings to .xlsx files.

Br,
Ivan

Hi Ivan,

First thanks for your response. It is not necessary that data back to the same file. Well my precise objective is that Knime send me back a dynamic cross tab without making the tab myself by returning on excel.
The excel sheet appender node send me back an xls file if i correctly understand this node but i want an xls file with a dynamic cross tab already done and based on my data.

Thanks for your time.

Br,
Adrien

Hi Adrien,

not sure what is a dynamic cross tab. Can you explain it a bit more? Some example with data maybe?

Br,
Ivan

Ho sure !
The other name of a dynamic cross tab is a pivot table which is used to see different level of detail.
Here’s an example on excel : https://blog.easi.net/en/dynamic-cross-tables-excel
The advantage of that is when you have a large amount of data for exemple you want to see the price of oil not by city but by country. you can adjust the level of detail.
I hope i’m enough clear in my explications sorry !

Br,
Adrien

Hi,

ok. Pivot tables. I get it. To my knowledge you can not write data to Excel as a Pivot table/dynamic cross tab. But KNIME is an open source and as seen here this can be developed :wink:

Br,
Ivan

Hi,

Alright ! Thanks you for your time Ivan. I will think about this option !

Br,

Adrien

1 Like

@AdrienR, I would recommend you a database approach. First, load/update data witth KNIME then connect Excel to database and read data to pivot table. Here’s one of possible example:

2 Likes