Exporting from KNIME 1.x for KNIME 2.x

I thought it was about time to do some development for KNIME 2.x For various reasons, I’ve chosen to do so on a different PC to the one I used for the nodes I developed for KNIME 1.x. I have downloaded and installed Eclipse (eclipse_knime-2.0.3-win32.win32.x86.zip) and used Help > Software updates to add everything I can download.

Obviously, I need to ‘import’ the nodes I’ve previously developed and in the absence of any other thoughts on how to approach this used the File > Import > Plugins and Fragments route. This places the nodes in a different hierarchy in the
package explorer - for instance a node which was in a folder ‘THINK’ now appears as org.xxxx ie up a level. This may not be problematic in its own right - the nodes would build although with warnings about source.xxxx.jar build entry is missing and src/ is not included in any source build entry (the times on the .class files in the try indicate that these were recreated). Much the same happens if I import from a .jar with source included.

When I proceed to try to run this using Run > Open Run Dialog … I get for instance “Node org.pharmacophores.node’ from plugin ‘org.pharmacophores’ could not be created. The corresponding plugin bundle could not be activated” which doesn’t help me guess what is amiss.

I appreciate that my knowledge of Eclipse is very limited and that I’m probably missing something obvious. However, it would save me significant time if any-one could steer me towards the solution!

Thanks
Keith

Hi Keith,

You should try to check the knime.log file (location advertised during the startup of KNIME), or you can change the log level of the KNIME GUI to DEBUG. (Preferences/KNIME/KNIME GUI)
Bests, gabor

2009-08-07 11:11:13,191 DEBUG main RepositoryManager : Node org.pharmacophores.node’ from plugin ‘org.pharmacophores’ could not be created. The corresponding plugin bundle could not be activated!
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Can’t load factory class for node: org.pharmacophores.PharmacophoresNodeFactory
at org.knime.workbench.repository.RepositoryFactory.createNode(RepositoryFactory.java:113)
at org.knime.workbench.repository.RepositoryManager.create(RepositoryManager.java:271)
at org.knime.workbench.repository.KNIMERepositoryPlugin.start(KNIMERepositoryPlugin.java:79)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl$2.run(BundleContextImpl.java:999)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
many more lines until …
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Plug-in org.pharmacophores was unable to load class org.pharmacophores.PharmacophoresNodeFactory.
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.RegistryStrategyOSGI.throwException(RegistryStrategyOSGI.java:180)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.RegistryStrategyOSGI.createExecutableExtension(RegistryStrategyOSGI.java:162)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ExtensionRegistry.createExecutableExtension(ExtensionRegistry.java:788)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:243)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElementHandle.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElementHandle.java:51)
at org.knime.workbench.repository.RepositoryFactory.createNode(RepositoryFactory.java:107)
and then some more lines …

Which doesn’t enlighten me … it leaves me wondering whether the most practical route is to recreate the nodes from scratch in a 2.x installation!

Hi Keith,

The right way to import the source code projects of your KNIME nodes into the new workspace is via File->Import…->Existing Projects into Workspace.

Regards,

Thorsten

:slight_smile:
Thanks
Keith