Extract Data from ERP (SAP, Oracle) application

Hi Team,

I would like to know does KNIME has the features or capable of extracting data from ERP application like SAP or Oracle. If yes, could provide some insights on the same please.

Regards,
Pavan.

See trail here.

1 Like

Hi,

I have check the link and it talks about DB connection. But that is not what i am looking at.

At present we use VBA code to extract data from front end SAP ERP application, as the DBA team will not provide access to SAP DB tables and more over it is in Citrix environment.

So i would like to know if there is any way to do it through KNIME.

Regards,
Pavan.

1 Like

Hi Pavan!

What kind of connection do you use now to extract that data?

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Hi Ivan,

We login to Citrix environment, open the SAP ERP application and in that we have the option of recording the Steps to extract the data. Once the recording is done, it will provide the SAP Scripting. We use that scripting in our VBA code to do the same.

Next time on wards, when we want to extract the data, we just run the VBA code, it will automatically does the work.

Regards,
Pavan.

1 Like

Hi Pavan!

Currently I only have more questions :smiley:

With this script the data from SAP ERP application ends up in your Excel?
Scripting produced by SAP is for VBA or you have to modify it?

For what part would you like to use KNIME then? Instead of VBA or ideally for whole process?

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Hi Ivan,

Yes, with the script, the data is imported and saved into excel spread sheet.

Since we have the VBA knowledge, we use it to run the script and we have to modify it like, date range, company code, etc to be assigned to variables or cell values in excel, so that user can define it as per the requirement.

Just want to reiterate that the extraction is in citrix environment, and the file will be saved in Sharepoint. From there we copy to local machine or on premise for further action).

Ideally i am planning to implement KNIME end to end, from extracting, transforming and loading to DB.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Pavan.

1 Like

Hi Pavan!

I see. Don’t have much experience with Citrix environment (except as a light user) so not sure would it be possible in your case to implement KNIME end to end.

Anyways I suggest you to check two things in KNIME. One is KNIME Continental nodes which might be useful for you in this case and in general. Second is External Tool node which start a program outside of KNIME so you can example given call .bat file which start your vba script in Excel. Possibly with input parameters from within KNIME.

Give it a try and let us know how it went :wink:

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Hi Ivan,

In that case, it would be good to use VBA code to extract the data, copy to local machine and use KNIME for transformation, analytics and upload to DB.

Thank you for your time and information on this, i appreciate.

Regards,
Pavan.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.