Fast way to filter rows below nonempty one?

Hi @bruno29a , I agree that on the face of it, it is counter-intuitive but it is also quite a useful feature if used with care.The link to my post “Java snippets have long memories” that I put in the previous comment gives more examples, but essentially, there are two places in a Java Snippet that you can initialise variables:
A variable defined in the “Your custom variables” (red box) section is initialised only once when the java class representing the node is instantiated which occurs only once for the entire table during this invocation of the workflow.

A variable defined in the “expression start” (blue box) section is in the piece of code that is invoked for each row, and so will be initialised for each row processed.

In effect, therefore, a variable from the red section “retains memory” from the previous row invocation (i.e. the previous row). You cannot directly reference anything from the previous row, but it is useful to know that you can retain some information. (And of course also useful to know that this is how it works if you don’t want to retain previous information either as you could fall foul of this if you don’t realise it!)

2 Likes