Feature calculator (BETA) 3D surface computation does not consider metadata

Hello,

I would like to use the node Feature Calculator (beta) to compute the surface area of 3D objects. I only obtain results in pixel units. Most importantly the Z calibration is not taken into account making the computation of the surface impossible.

I use Geometric Features 3D. For the volume it is written that it is in pixel units. Is this the same also for the surface area and other features?
I did a few tests and it seems that the metadata is not considered. I tried to set it manually with “Set Image metadata” node but this had no effect on the computed features.

Please find attached a workbook with the different examples. As example I use a sphere of radius 10 in an image of 100x100x100 (calibration 1,1,1) or an image with less Z-slices 100x100x50 (calibration 1,1,2).

feature_area_demo.knwf (86.0 KB)

These are the 2 test images

resliced_Sphere.tif (496.3 KB) Sphere.tif (988.9 KB)

Hello @stelfrich,

as I replied myself it may be that my post is ignored. I am shamelessly refer to you. I will have a look into the code to see if the calibration is included at all in the computation of the surface area.

Greetings

Antonio

Hi @apoliti,

That’s exactly what happened: Sorry about that!

No need to look into the code. The Feature Calculator uses ImageJ Ops for the computations, which in turn doesn’t take calibration into account.

Best,
Stefan

PS: This relates to Computing 3D surface area of binary object using imageJ-ops - Development - Image.sc Forum.

Hi Stefan,
could you add a note that for the 3D computations all dimension units are in pixels? It is there for the volume but not the surface. May be a generic warning?

Antonio

Thank you for you thorough investigation as documented in the linked thread! :+1:

Good point! I have opened an issue: Feature Calculator: Add info about pixels to 3D features · Issue #524 · knime-ip/knip · GitHub

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.