Feature request - editable shared component or metanode

Hi,
i’m playing a little bit with components and metanodes these days and i’ve encountered a quite big limitation in my opinion: the impossibility to edit in any way (apart from configurations) a shared one.

I just made a component that, through a selector, allows me to connect to 4 distinct databases. But I also want to introduce a DB query reader to execute the query I want. If I share the component I can no longer edit the query, so I have to unlink and edit manually.

So I came up with this idea, which all in all would combine the beauty of two worlds, shared but editable components where explicitly indicated: give the possibility to select within a component those nodes in which the user is allowed to interact without removing the shared link.

There are many and many cases where widget or configuration node aren’t just enough.

What do u guys think?

Best all
Luca

Hi Luca,
Don’t you think that for such things the Configuration nodes are better suited? What is the problem with passing in the Query via a String Configuration node? I think making components read-only was done so that you can always be sure that your instance is exactly the same as the original. Introducing variable content might lead to confusion when the component returns different results than expected and to debug it you might have to check a lot of nodes.
Kind regards,
Alexander

Everythings is doable (at least) but this doesn’t imply that is natural or intuitive.

Another face of the same medal: how can i save a metanode or a component for only my usage (always editable), instead of share them and unlink to modify them?

Luca

Hi Luca,
That is currently not possible. What you would like, as I understand it, is to use the Component as a kind of template, correct? That is definitely a valid use case.
Kind regards,
Alexander

Yeah, you know, suppose to “recycle” pieces of workflows that are really useful for other tasks, like some kind of data preparation or whatever, without any hassle of configuration nodes or widget to handle.
If i’m correct the only way to do that is to share the metanode/component and then unlink to edit it when dragged in the workflow.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.