File Download Widget - no save as pop up

Hi all, I have a workflow which should download a file using the, excel writer node, create temp folder node and file download widget. This should download the file within the interactive view when I select the download file link. Following the new 5.1.0 update when I click on the link it no longer prompts me to download the file using the windows explorer pop up. I can’t see anything in the patch notes which would indicate a change in these nodes so am unsure what might be causing this.
Thanks

Hey @TPattison,

this is sadly a bug that was introduced with 5.1. Apparently there were some file restriction changes in the browser we are using which prevent the popup. If you have a KNIME Hub or Server it will still work on there, as you are using your own browser on these platforms. I will update this thread as soon as we have found a solution to the problem. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Greetings,
Daniel

3 Likes

Hi @DanielBog,

Thanks for the update. Do you have a time frame on this at all?

Thanks,
Beth

Hey Beth,

we are currently already investigating a solution to make this whole process independent of the browser. This will prevent bugs like this in the future but is a bit more involved, which is why I currently cannot give a time frame on this. Can you elaborate a bit on your use case? Are you using the File Download Widget in exchange for a writer node, or are you trying to build a Data App for the Hub/Server?

Greetings,
Daniel

3 Likes

Hi @DanielBog -
Yes that’s right we were using the File Download Widget to act as a more user friendly writer node which outputs a number of tables into an excel workbook. Could you suggest if there is a possible workaround we could use in the interim period?
Thanks,
Thomas

Hi @DanielBog,

Thanks for that. My answer is as per Tom above (we’re in the same team).

As as a bit of background, I built the workflow using widgets and components so that our audit teams (who aren’t very digitally savvy!) could easily operate it. I found using the temporary folder / file download widget combination was the simplest option as the user literally just has to click download. This is in comparison to the Excel / CSV writer where a team would need to configure the node and run it.

My back-up option is just to use an Excel / CSV writer outside of the component. Do you see this as the best alternative at this point in time?

Thanks,
Beth

2 Likes

Thanks for the fast reply. I just looked into some alternatives, but sadly none of them seems to work. So I am afraid that the proposed solution with the Excel/CSV writer is currently the only thing I can come up with. I hope I can post some good news soon.

Greetings,
Daniel

3 Likes

Hey,

I have some good news. We could identify and also fix the problem. It should already work in the nightly and will work again as soon as we release 5.1.1, which should be in the coming weeks.

Greetings,
Daniel

3 Likes

Just catching up here… that’s great!! Thank you so much for the quick fix. :blush:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.