Get mail without password

Hello everyone!

So the situation is the following:
I am trying to connect to a shared company email address and retrieve the attachments from the received mails using the Get mail node from NodePit.

The problem is that since it is a shared email it does not have any username or password, it is indeed accessible without any. What I do have is the smtp/imaps server ID of the mail.

So how can I use the Get mail without configuring the password or is there another way I can try to retrieve the emails and extract the attachments?

Currently we require the password during validation in the Get Mail node, even though that’s obviously not needed.

You could have your admins set up another user account with a password as a workaround.

-Philipp

thank you for the swift reply!
the problem with creating another user account is that we would need an app password to make it work because of the oauth of microsoft, but to do that the admin would need to activate the possibility to create the app passwords to all users which is something they would not allow.

For now I am researching how I can code something from scratch to connect to the email server but so far no fruitful results.

Got it. If you can wait a few days, I can provide an updated version without the password validation. Will take until next week though.

6 Likes

That would be really great!! Thanks a lot for the proactivity ! End of next week seems amazing!

1 Like

Hi again! Since you’re at it, I was thinking if it was possible to add a possibility to specify the port, since we use a specific one, if it’s not too much hassle of course.
Anyways thanks again for the support!

@rastasanu Version 2.3.0 of the nodes which is available on NodePit now removes the password requirement and adds the ability to manually configure the port. Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

thank you very much! I cannot believe how efficient this change was!
I got to try the node today and however I stumbled upon an error regarding the SSL, I will post it here maybe you know what is causing it? my knowledge of java is very limited so I got lost :slight_smile:
Here is the log of the error.

Perhaps it’s worth mentioning that the server I am using I’ve been told that is used both for smtp and for imaps purposes, could it be this the reason?

Here is the configuration I am using (changed the mail for confidentiality reasons):

Hi rastasanu,

1. Port 25 (as in the screenshot) suggests an SMTP, not an IMAP server.

2. Port 25 also suggests SMTP and not SMTPS. SMTP (sans -S) is not supported by the node at the moment – at the end, all publicly available mail servers, for which this node was originally developed, should use encryption.

First step should be to figure out if SMTPS or IMAPS is available.

• If yes: That will probably not work out of the box, as specific certificates would need to be installed first. Check with your administrator about that and install the certificates.

• If no: If there’s only SMTP or IMAP (sans -S) available, it will not work with the current version of the node. We might be able to add plain SMTP and IMAP as a custom development – if you’re interested please get in touch at mail@nodepit.com to discuss the conditions.

Best regards,
Philipp

2 Likes

Thank you very much again!

I will check it out with the administration and get back at the mail provided in case a custom development is needed.
Have a great day!

Cheers,
Cristian

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.