Google Authentification Error

When the adoption of database technology or document storage solutions only pushes users to developing solutions on google sheets and spreadsheets, then the solution isn’t adopted.

If you’re pushed "off platform " and your data validation is depending on people???

Spreadsheet development is a “high risk” and “low reward” service opportunity.

IMO the data validity of “human mistakes” is an easy topic to have with executives and IT.

I can see a good case to be made for “acid compliant solutions” and removing data validation concerns from the developers and analysts using the solutions.

Also, case can be made for your spreadsheets being a single point of failure when databases can live and survive without your computer open.

I would start with explaining ACID compliance to your boss if the corporate environment doesn’t allow for cross collaboration, for me being in analytics consulting for 10years, it’s easy to say “go to an decision maker with a better solution” because that’s how I drive the needle.

Hope this helps and I’m sorry if this doesn’t help. Sometimes learning about acid compliance is enough of a hammer to bring to your next scrum meeting. Acid compliance on a powerpoint slide is 1 slide and good to be able to explain to your managers when developing in the analytics industry, as acid compliance can be a save grace if everyone keeps handing you a spreadsheet… It helped me a lot, i hope it helps you.

thanks for the quick responses. i get that this isn’t the best option. but sometimes quick turn-around and ad hoc analysis is needed. getting everyone on board trying to capture data collaboratively to the specs of what an architect / db admin want isn’t ideal for the majority of employees who don’t understand the importance of structured- validated data. it isn’t enough of a reason for my overlords to say - open it up to service accounts for API connections.

hence - the need for the quick and dirty. knime / alteryx helps solves this data ingestion for regular folk who aren’t using python or intense programming languages.

i’m guessing KNIME doesn’t really provide responses here? or don’t intend to fix this node?

1 Like

@onizuka023 On the contrary - the dev team is aware of the difficulties folks are having with this node. No ETA on a possible update yet, but I did want you to know you’re being heard. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thx! loving the tool so far. now to throw more work onto your team - a node that allows you to write to HDFS (perhaps insert statements one line at a time?)

1 Like

Hi onizuka023,
if mean Hadoop Distributed File System with HDFS this is already possible with the free KNIME Big Data Connectors which are part of the KNIME Big Data Extensions. You can also just search on the KNIME Hub for HDFS to find example workflows and the nodes.
Bye
tobias

1 Like

So the authentication is actually working. But your Analytics Platform is not receiving the credentials. Could you provide the knime.log for that SocketTimeoutException?

From a distance it seems like it might be a network issue.

2 Likes

reading the error log - it looks like it’s trying find a folder that doesn’t exists.
maybe it’s where i have the workflow saved vs. where the platform was installed?
also - i should say i have no clue how to fix this. PLEASE help :slight_smile:

let me know if this excerpt helps…

2020-04-03 14:41:15,633 : ERROR : SwingWorker-pool-5-thread-1 : : FileUtil : Google Authentication : 2:4 : Temp folder “C:\Users\t897420\AppData\Local\Temp\knime_test64275” does not exist (associated with node context “Google Authentication 2:4 (IDLE)”) - using fallback temp folder (“C:\Users\t897420\AppData\Local\Temp”
2020-04-03 14:42:09,978 : WARN : main : : Node : Google Authentication : 2:4 : Please authenticate using the node dialog.

UPDATE - and my particular issue was solved

1. i deleted and reinstalled KNIME
  2. if you’re connecting to the internet via proxy / firewall / vpn etc. then you’ll need to change the network connections to manual (HTTP, HTTPS, SOCKS - need to be manual and enter in HOST IP, port , and that’s it
  3. now the Google Authentication node will work

– i had step 2 already in place, but i think the issue is you cannot change where the workflow is saved vs. where knime defaulted the save. that was literally the only difference

i forgot to mention THANKS to all that took the time to provide guidance and i hope my answer helps :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Srry for late reply, I find the help gained here in the knime forum is the best I’ve gained using many communities for many years, and they also are willing to consider feedback for extra development for future product releases. Hope you got it figured out :wink:

Reinstalls always rock, having a few environments available is key to solving problems! Having to have a few macbooks and windows machines is always a nice way to keep warm in the winter too.

The is the best product forum on the planet, period. The team is active, and listening.

2 Likes

I can confirm that free analytics accounts for Google is working fine with knime: [Google Authentication (API Key) ] connected to [Google Analytics Connection] and then to[ Google Analytics Query]

4 Likes

I need some help here. I already setup google analytics as mentioned in the link here…

• Created credentials using service accounts… No OAuth consent screen set
  • Role added as App Engine Admin
  • Created P12 key
  • Added service account email to Google Analytics
  • Used the same email address in Google Authentication (API KEy)
  • Added the P12 key
  • Added the “GA Read only scope”

Now when I run Google Authentication(API key) its green with the below output. But when I go to Google Analytics connection its saying Warning: Could not connect to the Google API. Any idea what did I miss??

Blockquote

Did you enable the Google Analytics API through the dashboard of your project in the Google Developer Console?

1 Like

I had actually deleted my question right after I posted it because I tried some options after posting the issue and got the issue resolved… Since it has been more than a month I have even forgotten what I did but it was with google analytics setting. I had missed something from the guide which once corrected got all working.

So in short I have got this working now. The guidelines were good enough to help me setting this up.

4 Likes

Wondering what was inputted for the scopes under flow variables if anything? Did you have to update/change anything under flow variables at all?

1 Like

Thanks for the tutorial. I had to Restore mi PC the last days and when I tried to run my workflow again, the Authentication API Key and the Google Sheet Connetion ran, but when I try to read a Sheet the node at the configuration says “Could not retrieve spreadsheets. Check connection.”, but The Autentication and Connection nodes are green.

1 Like

Hello there,

and welcome to KNIME Community both @dsarz and @rupalimittra !

As the original issue has been resolved - meaning you can use Google Authentication node to authenticate for Google services will close this topic and for all other issues regarding Google please open up new topic including necessary deatils.

Br,
Ivan

1 Like