Gray node(bypass node mode) workflow pattern

Hi, KNIMEr :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

Let’s say we have a simple workflow like this:

Sometimes we will find that the workflow cannot run, maybe just because there is too much data, it is not easy to see how the error occurred (especially we need to locate the wrong rows in the output table)

At this time, I usually sample the data based on some conditions:

Then, the error will be much easier to detect. After the problem is located and solved, the workflow will become like this:

This is actually not a best practice for workflow(We have an orphan node). Maybe the Row Filter should be deleted, but in some cases, I want to keep this node. The reason is that if there is a problem next time, it will be useful to eliminate the error, so , this node remains.

I was wondering if it would be great to turn this node into a “gray” node state (disabled) and leave it in the original workflow (in the demo below, I just blurred it), just let the data flow through it, without doing any processing.

The above is just a small example.

Imagine that we can disable several nodes at will and observe the data. This will lead to a very good user experience when debug and experiment

So you would want to be able to keep nodes in place in the flow, but be able to switch them into a sort of “bypass mode”? I like it! I quite often have to repeatedly place and remove nodes temporarily to edit or review calcs. This is especially true for loops. Yes, you can place it in a component and create a bypass with a Case Switch, but that is far less convenient than a quick platform level bypass setting.

1 Like

@iCFO Yes, exactly. bypass mode. And the node image is actually svg. I believe add gray layer is simple to denote it is bypassed. In principle, the code should not be difficult to implement, but it is indeed a relatively large change.

1 Like