Grouping Nodes in KNIME

I'm relatively new to KNIME, and looking to create some new NodeModels.   I've looked at the example and have a question:   Is it possible to create nodes that group other nodes together?   It seems like perhaps the MetaNode concept might be this, but it's a little hard to tell.

Also, if it is possible to create hierarchies of nodes:   Is it possible to create new types of hierarchies (e.g. with different inputs/outputs and/or different sets of sub-nodes?   Are there any examples or SDK documentation around this?

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott,

Welcome to our forum. May I ask why you want to do this programmatically or rather what your use-case is? In KNIME Analytics Platform you can visually create "Metanodes" and "Wrapped Metanodes" in the workbench by selecting the nodes you want to group and rightclick on one selected node. 

Cheers,

Christian

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm actuallly interested in creating new types of metanodes...e.g. that interact with some other runtime such as an OSGi-based edge device...with it's own set of capabilities (represented by nodes).   

What I'm thinking I would like to try is to extend/customize metanode, to represent access to gateways/edge devices that have their own (OSGi-based) set of components.

Scott

Hi Scott,

oh, this sounds interesting. However, I'm afraid we don't really have examples for you here. I guess the easiest might be to check the github.com/knime/knime-core repository and see how Metanodes are implemented there.

Best,

Christian