Hide working nodes on Server Knime Executor

Hello dear community,

I’m having an optimization problem with my Knime Workflow running on the server via an executor. The workflow lets user import data from a server based on different criteria. At the end just before Posting a Request to the server, there is an UI window summary of the data that will be imported based on the configuration the user chose.
Now the problem lies in the fact that this summary page is supposed to be the last one the user sees before the workflow runs on the server in the background. But what happens is that the user needs to click on next before the workflow continues and even then the executor is showing the loading symbol, which prompts the user to wait. And since the import can take from anywhere between 10 minutes and 4 hours, that is not good.

So my question is, how can I make Knime run nodes in the background, as if it is already finished? Or better, is there a way to make the executor think that the workflow is finished even tough it is still running?

This “Workflow currently executing” should disappear and instead show “Workflow executed sucessfully”.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Have a nice day.

El_Capit4n

Hi @El_Capit4n,
how about you collect the info from the user and then trigger another job using our REST API? We also have the Call Workflow (Table Based) node, but this one waits for the job to finish before returning. If you use a POST Request node instead with the URL /rest/v4/repository/{path}:execution , you can start the job and let the triggering workflow finish. If you open your KNIME WebPortal there is a link to the REST API description on the bottom right. There you can find out how the POST Request should look like. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions about that!
Kind regards,
Alexander

2 Likes

Hey Alexander,
Thanks for your reply. The POST Node seems like a good solution, but I didn’t quite understand how I need to set that up and which infos I should put in that URL (I’m not very good with abs/local/mountpoint URLs x) ). Could you help me through please?

Thanks in advance.

Have a nice day.

El_Capit4n

Hi,
In your KNIME Server’s WebPortal, you should see a link to the REST API documentation at the bottom right. Here under the Repository section you have to search for the POST request to /rest/v4/repository/{path}:jobs. It allows you to create a new job via the server’s REST API. If the called workflow has configuration nodes, you can pass parameters to those as well.

Once the job is created, you get back its uuid and you have to trigger its execution via the command /rest/v4/jobs/{uuid}, which you find described in more detail in the Jobs section of the same page.

If you need some pointers how to use the REST API in KNIME, have a look at KNIME Hub. This workflow for example shows how to upload a workflow: https://kni.me/w/ZE1_2NhPeRcf0H82 and this one shows the runtime of your jobs: https://kni.me/w/Op9y7ZcSEwdG8pNA.

Kind regards,
Alexander

Do you mean directly in internet explorer? Because when I open the workflow in the Webportal I access my companies proprietary workflow repository webpage and there are only contact infos on the bottom right of the page. But maybe I’m understanding it wrong…

Hi,
Maybe you need admin rights to see it? I have attached a screenshot showing the link I mean. On my localhost server the direct link is http://localhost:8080/knime/rest/doc/index.html

Kind regards,
Alexander

Ah yeah I see… I don’t have this link that you have on the webportal. I think the admins removed it because a lot of people in the company will acess the portal to use our tools. Can I get this documentation elsewhere? Because it’s quite a hassle to get permissions where I work :neutral_face:

Hi @El_Capit4n,

You should still be able to access this even though the link is not in the footer. It is available under https://your-knime-server/knime/rest/doc/index.html

Cheers,
Roland

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.