Hilites not appearing in MapViewer

Just wondering if the Palladian MapViewer is supposed to show hiliting from upstream nodes. The table that I am feeding the MapViewer has hilited rows in it, but the hiliting doesn't show up on the relevant markers. This would be extremely useful if it worked. Am I missing something, or is the node not yet able to do this?

Hi Sugna,

highlighting markers should work. Here's an example:

The markers of the highlighted cells have an orange border in the MapViewer. You can also select markers directly in the map, and then use the "HiLite" menu for the other way round.

In case a marker in the map does not show a highlight, it might be, that there are multiple markers on the same position. In that case, I suggest to de-duplicate identical coordinates before visualizing.

Additional note: The MapViewer node is quite old and in the meantime, KNIME built their own map node, so I would suggest checking out their node as it is probably better maintained (haven't used it myself, so I'm not sure whether it provides highlighting).

Best
Philipp

You're right, it does work. I just seem to have some trouble with the hiliting in my workflow. I'm trying to use the HiLite Table node to highlight a single row before concatenating with other rows, and it doesn't seem to be working properly - I have no idea why.

Thanks for pointing me to the other mapping node (OSM Map View). It has some advantages over the Palladian viewer, for example, it allows interactive selections and more basemap options. But it also has shortcomings - for example it doesn't have the labelling capability or marker options that the Palladian node has. And it frequently gives me null pointer exceptions and fails to execute, while the Palladian node works fine.

If someone could combine the strengths of the two, that would be wonderful!

Hi sugna,

thanks for the feedback!

I'm trying to use the HiLite Table node to highlight a single row before concatenating with other rows, and it doesn't seem to be working properly - I have no idea why.

So I would assume, that this is more a general KNIME issue, rathen than specific to the MapViewer. I would suggest posting this problem to the KNIME General forum.

Thanks for pointing me to the other mapping node (OSM Map View). It has some advantages over the Palladian viewer, for example, it allows interactive selections and more basemap options. But it also has shortcomings - for example it doesn't have the labelling capability or marker options that the Palladian node has. And it frequently gives me null pointer exceptions and fails to execute, while the Palladian node works fine.

If someone could combine the strengths of the two, that would be wonderful!

Would you be capable/willing to contribute the missing features to the Palladian node? I currently just do not have time to implement them on my own, but I can do my best to assist you and I assume it shouldn't be too complex.

Best,
Philipp

PS: 
I've just seen, that the MapQuest tiles are currently defunct. This can easily be fixed by supplying an API key. I'll try to have a fix for this problem ready soon

I doubt I have the capability to improve the node, I'm afraid, since I don't not have any real coding knowledge (which is one of the main reasons I use Knime in the first place!). I assume that's a pre-requisite for modifying a node?!

Hi sugna,

yes, coding skills would be necesssary. Fair enough, I'll keep your suggestions it in mind, and see if I can make some polish to the MapViewer when I got some rare spare time :)

Best,
Philipp

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.