How to build a complete KNIME

Hi,I am new to knime and I want to build a KNINE and change it, because some features are different from what I imagined, but I don’t know how to get started. Can you help me?

For example, I should pull the github project, I have pulled kmine-core, but I don’t know what env.KNIME_TP_P2 means.

Hi @gaojyue,

A good start is to check out this page: https://github.com/knime/knime-sdk-setup. There you find the necessary information about how to setup a KNIME sdk and start developing. Let me know if the instructions are unclear or something is missing.

Regards,
Simon

2 Likes

Hi
I downloaded the core source code of KNIME, but reported the following error, I don’t know how to solve it.

1. An API baseline has not been set for the current workspace.
  2. Project build error: Non-resolvable parent POM for org.knime:knime-core:3.8.0-SNAPSHOT: Failure to transfer org.knime.maven:parent-pom:pom:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT from ${knime.target.platform.p2} was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of org.knime.update.org has elapsed or updates are forced. Original error: Could not transfer artifact org.knime.maven:parent-pom:pom:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT from/to org.knime.update.org (${knime.target.platform.p2}): Cannot access ${knime.target.platform.p2} with type p2 using the available connector factories: AetherRepositoryConnectorFactory, BasicRepositoryConnectorFactory and ‘parent.relativePath’ points at wrong local POM

Hi @gaojyue,

Did you follow all the instructions in the link I have posted?

Look at “Getting Started” → “Contribute to KNIME Analytics Platform Source Code” → “2. Configure API Baseline”.

Have you set the target platform? Look at “Getting Started” → “General Setup”.

Regards,
Simon

Hi @gaojyue,
it is currently not yet possible to fully build KNIME Analytics Platform using maven, we are currently in the process of porting our build process to it so this is why there is already a pom.xml file in that repository.
Are you planing to make changes to the core functionality of KNIME Analytics Platform? If you want to develop an extension (e.g. new nodes) you do not need to build the AP yourself. Instead you can just follow the instruction in https://github.com/knime/knime-sdk-setup and create an extension plugin.

best,
Gabriel

Hi @SimonS and @gab1one

Thanks for answering my question,Now there is a problem that started:

Project build error: Non-resolvable parent POM for org.knime:knime-core:3.8.0-SNAPSHOT: Failure to transfer org.knime.maven:parent-pom:pom:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT from ${knime.target.platform.p2} was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of org.knime.update.org has elapsed or updates are forced. Original error: Could not transfer artifact org.knime.maven:parent-pom:pom:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT from/to org.knime.update.org (${knime.target.platform.p2}): Cannot access ${knime.target.platform.p2} with type p2 using the available connector factories: AetherRepositoryConnectorFactory, BasicRepositoryConnectorFactory and 'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM

I don’t know how to solve this problem, then you said that using maven can’t build the source completely, what do you need to do?

Thanks,
gaojyue

Hi

The second question, I want to do a complete Chinese localization of knime, how should I do it?

Thanks,
gaojyue

Hi @gaojyue,

First of all you need to check out the knime-sdk repository and follow the instructions (GitHub - knime/knime-sdk-setup: KNIME Analytics Platform - SDK Setup) of the general setup. Afterwards, you can go ahead and check out a knime repository, e.g. knime-core, and start developing.

What exactly do you mean with localization? Do you want to translate all the text?

Regards,
Simon

Hi @SimonS

Yes, I want to translate all the texts and transform knime into Chinese.
But I have a problem. I don't know how to compile the source code, because the POM file says something I can't understand:
Project build error: Non-resolvable parent POM for org.knime:knime-core:3.8.0-SNAPSHOT: Failure to transfer org.knime.maven:parent-pom:pom:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT from ${knime.target.platform.p2} was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of org.knime.update.org has elapsed or updates are forced. Original error: Could not transfer artifact org.knime.maven:parent-pom:pom:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT from/to org.knime.update.org (${knime.target.platform.p2}): Cannot access ${knime.target.platform.p2} with type p2 using the available connector factories: AetherRepositoryConnectorFactory, BasicRepositoryConnectorFactory and 'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM

Thanks,
gaojyue

Hi @gaojyue,

Did you follow the instructions I pointed to?

Cheers,

Simon

Hi @SimonS

Yes,I did according to your instructions.

Thank,
gaojyue

Where you able to launch the Analytics Platform after you were done with the setup?

Run As > Run Configurations > Eclipse Application > KNIME Analytics Platform
But the error is the pom file under the knime-core project.

You don’t need to have org.knime.update.core checked out, there is nothing in there to translate. You can close this project.

I did not open org.knime.update.core, I just turned on knime-core

You don’t even need this pom. Just import org.knime.core and all the other projects you need as “Existing Projects into Workspace”.

Ok, I now know how to run the program, but how to build a complete installation package?

You need the GitHub - knime/knime-product project, that contains the required .product files.

best,
Gabriel

Ok,Thank you very much, can you provide documentation or description of the process of building the source code?
Thanks,
gaojyue

Take a look at this very detailed tutorial:
http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipseProductDeployment/article.html

There are a bit more steps to it than I can easily explain in a forum post.
best,
Gabriel

2 Likes