how to connect analysis services on Knime

Hi all.

i’d like to know if is possible to connect not a database on knime but a link related to an analysis services.
for example i connected it on Power BI, cause this software has the possibility to add a server with a dynamic connection, there is the same Node on Knime able to replicate it?

thank you in advance.

Simone

Hi,
what kind of link is this? Does the service provide a REST API? If so, you can use the GET Request or POST Request nodes to call out to it.
Kind regards
Alexander

hi @AlexanderFillbrunn.

is a SQl Microsoft provider.

Hi,
for that you can use our database integration with the Microsoft SQL Server Connector node.
Kind regards,
Alexander

1 Like

hi,

the problem is that what i wanna connect is not a database but an analysis services.
i tried to connect it using a Microsoft SQL node, but doesn’t work.

Hi,
I am not sure I understand what you want to do. Do you want to read some data (see GET Request node and the Microsoft documentation)? Do you want to send some data to Power BI (see Send to Power BI node)? What exactly is your use case?
Kind regards
Alexander

Hi,

what i’d like to do is connecting my analysis services into KNIME, in order to get data.
but it is not a database so i cant use DB node, and it isn’t and URL.

i wanna know if there is a possibility to connect it as i done in POWER BI, where there is a possibility to get date from it, just using an Analysis Services link.
is it clear?

as you can see in the attachment, there is what i done on Power BI to connect it.
i deleted some part of the link cause is related to a confidential data of my company.

i hope to be clear :slight_smile:

Hi,
thank you for that information. Now it is much clearer. Unfortunately I don’t think KNIME can support this out of the box. But there seems to be a commercial JDBC-Driver that claims to be able to communicate with SQL Analysis Services. Using the DB Connector node you could maybe access the data. In the KNIME Preferences under “KNIME -> Database” you can install additional JDBC drivers.
Kind regards
Alexander

2 Likes

Hi @AlexanderFillbrunn,

thank you and sorry if i wasn’t clear.
hence, i should installa additional JDBC drivers, but in which way i can do it? could you give me a pratical example.
sorry again if i’m not clear but i dont know well how the database works.

BR

Simone

Hi,
you have to download the JDBC driver from the website I linked above. This should come in the form of a jar file in the KNIME preferences under Databases, you have to click “Add” to add the driver file.

In that dialog you give the driver some ID, e.g. sqlanalysisserver, a Name, e.g. SQL Analysis Server Driver, a description, and a URL template like this: jdbc:sqlanalysisservices:user=myuseraccount;password=mypassword;. Then you click “Add file” and select the jar file you downloaded. Now click “Find driver classes” and make sure a class is found and selected in the dropdown on the left side of the button. Finally, use the DB Connector node and select the correct new driver from the dropdown in the configuration.
Kind regards
Alexander

Hi,
which website is linked above?
it is oracle 18.3.0?

thanks

hi,

i found the link, but it is free?

thanks

Hi,
no it is commercial, but there is a 30 days trial license, I think.
Kind regards,
Alexander

thank you so much!!

Simone

2 Likes

Hello Simone,
you could also try to use the KNIME REST nodes to work with the Analytics Service REST API.
Bye
Tobias

2 Likes

thank you @tobias.koetter.

i’m gonna try and i’ll let you know if it works.

bye

Simone

1 Like

hi all,

I wasn’t able to connect directly the SSAS because we don’t have the possibility to use a REST API because we don’t have a web server.
I’ve connected a SQL DB but there is a problem, I can connect our development server but not a production server.
They have the same version, same security, the only feature that changes is the processor, in the first we have 8 in the second 32 with a larger memory.
Do you have some advice to be able to connect the production server?

PS. In the attached you can find the error given me by knime

thank you in advance.

br
Simone

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.