How to install ChemAxon license?

I’ve downloaded various Jchem and Marvin nodes, and I’ve installed the license from Infocom (via preferences) however in the JChem window I can only specify the location for one license file, which I did for the Infocom license. I’ve also received a license from ChemAxon but it is not clear to me how I should ‘activate’ it… When I try to run a Jchem node KNIME gives me the following error message:
Execute failed: no license file was found
Licenses are read from:

Any ideas on how to get it going?
Z

Hi Z,

You are correct that only the path to the Infocom license gets set in the KNIME preferences. The ChemAxon license is handled outside of KNIME.

If you have installed any of the ChemAxon applications, running the licensemanager application will allow you to install the licenses.
Alternatively, simply placing the license.cxl file in C:\Users\yourUserName\chemaxon should also work.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Hello,

Have these instructions changed since 2018? I just installed the four Marvin nodes under ChemAxon / Infocom, but I cannot find the options for installing the license on the Preferences dialog.

Thanks,
Ning

Hi Ning,

No, the instructions have not changed. At this time, the four Marvin nodes which are part of the free Marvin Chemistry Extensions do not require any licenses.

The full-featured JChem Extensions do require licenses, as described above.

Regards,

Tim

1 Like

Sorry about the delayed response, Tim. I installed the Infocom JChem extensions from the Hub and was able to see the options for choosing the license file on the Preferences dialog.

Thanks for your help!

Ning

1 Like

HI Tim
apparently running KNIME 4.3.2 a license is requested to run MarvinView node which has been always within Marvin free nodes…
Is there any pointer to download a license file for all free Marvin nodes? Am I correct?
Best
andrea

HI all,
to add to my confusion here the answer of the Chemaxon KNIME Supportc, which apparently seem to ignore that there is a bundle for chemaxon nodes (the three famous MArvinViewer, Sketcher and MolConverter which never had license need)…:

###################
Hi Andrea,
Apologies for the inconveniences - let’s see your issues one by one:

1. You will need the License Manager application to configure the license key, and that is bundled together with our software. So, you will have to download our Marvin installer package and install it.
  2. Regarding the license, I think the easiest is if you generate a renewable, 2-months license for yourself. This is how:
    First you will need to login to your ChemAxon account, and visit Marvin’s download page https://chemaxon.com/products/marvin/download . There, if you scroll down a bit, you will see the Get Your License section. Here you should click on the Non-commercial tab, and on the left side, you can generate a 2 months license key for yourself by pushing the GET MY KEY button. After your license key was generated you will land on your licenses page https://accounts.chemaxon.com/licenses where you can access your license key.

In the next step, please open ChemAxon’s License Manager (just search for LicenseManager on your machine to find it - you have downloaded it with any ChemAxon software product). You will need to configure your license key in the License Manager. To do that, you will have to click on the License server configuration menu on the left; and paste your license key from our website to the License key field. If you push the Apply button, you are ready to use our Marvin software.
I hope this will help. Have a great day,

##############

I don’t want to have a license manager running if the nodes are free…
Sorry, I am bit upset…
Best
Andrea

Hi Andrea,

As announced last year, the Marvin nodes now require a license. Free licenses are available for non-commercial use, as described here.
Hope this helps.

Best,
Tim

-1 First KNIME failure in year.

agiani99
As “againai99” said, Marvin installs and runs fine.
Now, I am checking the demo to use the entire ChemAxon module in knime through purchase, but the license installation is not working.
I got the DAT file from the chemaxon agency…License does not apply.
Can you give me some help for reference?

I conformed.
Two license is required to run commercial chemaxon module & knime module.
Cxl & dat file

Reviving this thread, as this is giving me challenges currently.

Trying to run the canSARchem workflow with the ChemAxon/Infocom JChem Extensions Feature. I’ve acquired a license from ChemAxon (a .dat file) and in the Preferences > KNIME > Jchem menu I’ve supplied the location of the .dat file.

When I run the workflow on test data, I get the following:
ERROR Standardizer 3:1287:2167:2163 Execute failed: No license file was found.
Product name: Standardizer
Licenses are read from:
Please visit About Chemaxon Licensing | Chemaxon Docs or contact sales@chemaxon.com to obtain the corresponding license.

I get this same behavior on two different Windows machines and on a Fedora 35 workstation. All are running KNIME 4.6.1.

Any ideas? Is there an ini file or other preferences file somehwere that the license file path is written to? I’ve searched but can’t turn anything up.

Thanks for the help

Two license files are required: a .dat file (the Infocom license for the JChem Extensions) and a license.cxl file (the Chemaxon license).
The pathway to the .dat file needs to be specified within KNIME, under Preferences->KNIME->JChem.
The Chemaxon license file, which must be named license.cxl, is handled outside of KNIME. It can be installed either with the LicenseManager application or placed manually into your CHEMAXON_HOME directory as described here. On a PC the license.cxl file should be placed in the C:\Users\yourUserName\chemaxon folder.