How to pass credentials to workflows called through Knime Server

Hi Everyone,

For our Knime modelling factory we have the following set-up on Knime server:

We have a number of seperate modelflows on the Knime server. A “master workflow” is scheduled on the server and reads a table with the logic that determines which of the seperate model workflows need to be run on that particular time.

To call these workflows I use the “call local workflow (rowbased)” node as described below. Each of the seperate workflows however needs to connect to a database. Right now i added the credentials for this database in each seperate workflow but this is not ideal/secure.

afbeelding

Ideally I want to store these credentials in one secure location, and pass them to each workflow as needed. I would really appreciate it if i can get some advice on how to achieve this.

Cheers,

Maarten

1 Like

Hi Maarten,

this looks like a great workflow! Did you start with our template for the Model Factory and than customized it to your needs?

The row based nodes are exactly right here. Because they can receive credentials. For this you need a Container Input (Credentials) in the workflow you are calling, Than you can send this over. with the Call Local Workflow node.

Let me know if this helps! I can also make you a small workflow for this.

Cheers, Iris

3 Likes

Hi Iris,

Indeed, we used the model factory as inspiration. Thanks for your reply, this looks like a good solution!

Cheers,

Maarten

Hi Iris,

I know why I couldn’t get it to work now, I forget to add ‘credentials_input’ in the call workflow node.

Thanks,

Maarten

1 Like

Hi Marten,

yes this is the way with the row-based node.

Just in case you can switch to the Table based nodes. Those can than properly handle Credentials.

You would than use this node to call your workflows:

https://hub.knime.com/knime/nodes/Call_Workflow_Table_Based*M66aoaj-gqFbGR5j

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.