How to save Table to PDF using BIRT template

Hello, I’ve created and formatted a report using BRIT report designer and following the intro here:
KNIME Report Designer User Guide.

I want to programmatically create a PDF from this template with the intention of saving it to a shared drive and emailing it. The tutorial only goes as far as triggering and reviewing the output PDF manually, and the Table-to-PDF node seems to ignore the report design I created.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

I had that problem once. BIRT cannot be automated with KNIME AP as far as I’m aware. You’d need KNIME Server for that. (maybe that can be worked around via batch execution?)

The Table to PDF node will put your input table on an A4 sheet and save it as pdf. It uses BIRT to do that, but it’s not actually a report generator. It’s neat for some internal reports that don’t have to be polished.

Not sure how complex your report is, and how often you create it. I solved that issue after a while by switching to an R View that creates a huge PNG. The different file format even turned out to be an improvement, but R scripting is probably not for everybody.

Maybe you can tell us a bit about your use case? Maybe we can come up with something that works for you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I use the Parent / Child method to generate BIRT reports and save them as PDFs in a preferred file structure via KNIME AP. You can then distribute them via email them with the Send Email node.

2 Likes