Impala Connector : Failed to connect to server. Reason: Socket is closed by peer. OpenSession.

Hi all

I’m starting out with Impala, managed to get the JDBC driver installed and accepted and authentication by Kerberos is working.

But I’ve yet to establish a connection. This is my latest error:

Execute failed: [Cloudera][ImpalaJDBCDriver](500593) Communication link failure. Failed to connect to server. Reason: Socket is closed by peer. OpenSession.

Is this an Impala or a Knime issue? To help me know who to approach for help next!

Many thanks

Hello,

Thank you for writing in about this.
Which version of KNIME software are you using?
Is the port 21050 open on the destination host?
Is the destination host reachable? The way the error message reads, it says the Socket was closed by peer, which means the destination host refused the connection for some reason. Do you have any logs at the time of this error that may illuminate what’s going on at that moment in time?

Regards,
Nickolaus

Hi @NDekay thanks for your rapid response.

I’m using Knime 4.3.2

I think the port is open on the destination host as I am able to connect using ODBC port 21050 in Power BI direct query.

Here’s my log details from this morning - I enabled logging from the Kerberos options too. But I don’t see any way in the preferences to control verbosity for the Knime desktop.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2021-06-17 08:19:48.765
!MESSAGE Keybinding conflicts occurred. They may interfere with normal accelerator operation.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2021-06-17 08:19:48.766
!MESSAGE A conflict occurred for CTRL+F:
Binding(CTRL+F,
ParameterizedCommand(Command(org.eclipse.ui.edit.findReplace,Find and Replace,
Find and replace text,
Category(org.eclipse.ui.category.edit,Edit,null,true),
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchHandlerServiceHandler@45a05350,
,true),null),
org.eclipse.ui.defaultAcceleratorConfiguration,
org.eclipse.ui.contexts.window,system)
Binding(CTRL+F,
ParameterizedCommand(Command(knime.commands.findnode,Find Node…,
Finds a Node in the workflow.,
Category(knime.command.category,KNIME Workflow Editor commands,Commands available for the workflow editor,true),
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchHandlerServiceHandler@7d6a9d5e,
,true),null),
org.eclipse.ui.defaultAcceleratorConfiguration,
org.eclipse.ui.contexts.window,system)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core 4 0 2021-06-17 08:19:49.986
!MESSAGE Exception during event notification
!STACK 0
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Location must be absolute: …
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.checkValidLocation(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:756)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.contains(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:252)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.addRepository(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:167)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.notify(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:825)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.core.ProvisioningEventBus.dispatchEvent(ProvisioningEventBus.java:103)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.core.ProvisioningEventBus.dispatchEvent(ProvisioningEventBus.java:1)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:234)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:345)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core 4 0 2021-06-17 08:19:49.988
!MESSAGE Exception during event notification
!STACK 0
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Location must be absolute: …
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.checkValidLocation(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:756)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.contains(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:252)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.addRepository(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:167)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.notify(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:825)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.core.ProvisioningEventBus.dispatchEvent(ProvisioningEventBus.java:103)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.core.ProvisioningEventBus.dispatchEvent(ProvisioningEventBus.java:1)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:234)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:345)

I found out yesterday that my company had removed all Java from our machines, I asked them to reinstall.

java version “1.8.0_291”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_291-b10)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.291-b10, mixed mode)

I’ve tried running the Impala node on the server but getting same message error and there doesn’t appear to be any info related to running this node in the logfile (the only logging I know of is in the tomcat files which just lists the jobs I’ve got running)

Thanks again in advance for any illumination.

Hi

I’ve worked out how to have a debug level workflow log!
@NDekay can I private message you the logfile?

I have a colleague that has suggested that it is the SSL certificate settings that we need to integrate in the Knime vault. We will try that later today.

1 Like

Hello @zedleb,

Thanks for the update. If you need to send in logs, you can send them to support@knime.com. Please include reference ID#20648 in the subject line.

Regards,
Nickolaus

Great - sent this morning!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.