Improve Path Data Type Integration

Hi,

it feels that since quite some time support for the data type “Path” wasn’t extended. I.e. a Path column can be chosen as a column to get filtered but not as a value. Trying to use the String representation seems to not work. Furthermore, the Test Data Generator does add URI but not the Path Type.

Path not Supported as Filter (variable)
Row Filter

Rule-based Row Filer

Rule-based Row Filer (Dictionary

Contrary to the above, the Reference Row Filter works.

Suggestion

1. Extend the Node “Test Data Generator” by the data type “Path”
  2. Allow the data type “Path” as a filter value in Row Filter, Rule-based Row Filter, Rule-based Row Filter (Dictionary)
  3. Extend each corresponding Row Splitter Node in accordance to aforementioned criteria no. 2

Best
Mike

3 Likes

Hi @mwiegand ,
thank you very much for the feedback. It’s highly appreciated!
Best,
Daria

1 Like

Hi @darspir,

you are most welcome. I happen to notice another node which would significantly benefit from receiving support for the path variable. That happens to be the Wait Node

Here is a screenshot where I temporarily added it just to display the incompatibility.

Should I raise another post for this?

Best
Mike

1 Like

Hmm … :thinking:

Believe it or not but the more recent nodes related to file system support like:

Do NOT support the Path type either.

At this point it really feels like, as was my impression from the beginning when the Path type was introduced, that it was done not quite well. As it stands, the path type is neither properly supported by rather common nodes like row filter nor file handling specific ones as mentioned above.

:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Hi @mwiegand -

No need to create another thread for the missing PATH type support on additional nodes. This is an issue that has been raised a few times by the community in recent months, and the developers are definitely aware! They are doing the usual tricky bit of balancing resources from their side - but it’s still good to get detailed feedback like this, since the squeaky wheel gets the grease :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @ScottF for letting me know this is also a pain point for other Knimers. Talking about squeaky wheels (I like that analogy of yours a lot) … if basic data types, absolutely necessary to work with and save data, are not properly supported, how much more squeaky can it get?

I can imagine the many path type variants – local, remote, absolute, relative etc. – are increasing complexity manyfold. But wouldn’t this indicate one integration is too complex (Eierlegende Wollmilchsau) and suggesting to follow “divide et impera” by either:

1. Defining the problem and working through it path type by path type for each identified node OR
  2. Creating distinct remote nodes as AWS S3, Azure and whatever else is virtually rending a comprehensive and sustainable maintenance almost unfeasible

Just trying to play the devils advocate as so much time has passed since the path type introduction and I feel almost nothing has improved on this.

Cheers
Mike

2 Likes

Hi @mwiegand ,
I have attached your recent comments to the Jira ticket #AP-20036.
Best,
Daria

2 Likes