Install and update nodes in KNIME Server

I have virtual machine (virtual box) on which I have KNIME Server installed. I uploaded my flow, tried to open it, but get the message that nodes are not available, including, but not limited to,

Status: Error: Node "Bag Of Words Creator" not available from extension "KNIME Textprocessing" (provided by "KNIME AG, Zurich, Switzerland"; plugin "org.knime.ext.textprocessing" is installed)
Status: Error: Node "OpenNLP NE Tagger" not available from extension "KNIME Textprocessing" (provided by "KNIME AG, Zurich, Switzerland"; plugin "org.knime.ext.textprocessing" is installed)
Status: Error: Node "Tess4J" not available from extension "KNIME Image Processing - Tess4J Integration" (provided by "University of Konstanz"; plugin "org.knime.knip.tess4j.base" is not installed)
Status: Error: Node "IF Switch (Flow Variable Value)" not available from extension "Vernalis KNIME Nodes" (provided by "Vernalis (R&D), UK"; plugin "com.vernalis.knime.flowcontrol" is installed)
Status: Error: Node "Strings To Document" not available from extension "KNIME Textprocessing" (provided by "KNIME AG, Zurich, Switzerland"; plugin "org.knime.ext.textprocessing" is installed)

How can I update the KNIME Server to include the nodes and be up-to-date in general?

Hi @M42

Do you already have our Admin Guide? You can find it here: https://download.knime.com/server/4.6/KNIME_Server_Administration_Guide_4.6.pdf (It is documented at page 17)

Do you have a GUI and Internet on your server?
This is the easiest option, than you just need to start the Executor and install the packages you need into the executor.
If you do not have internet, you need to previously download the update sites to your server and configure those to install.
If you don’t have a GUI, you can start the KNIME Analytics Platform in Batch Mode and send the respective Parameters. This is in much more detail in the Guide I linked you above.

We also always publish an update guide with every Server Release, which you can find in the Server Pages starting from here: https://www.knime.com/knimecom-product-downloads

Best wishes, Iris

@M42 I moved your thread in the server forum.

Hi @Iris,

I am having the same problem, I am running the server on an AWS EC2 instance. How do I start the executor to install knime extensions?

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi there @ryanb123,

there is no need for you to start executor cause when you start your AWS EC2 instance executor is running after TomEE application has started successfully. Check here: https://docs.knime.com/latest/aws_marketplace_server_guide/index.html#start-server

Also for KNIME Server Small/Medium/BYOL see here how to install KNIME extensions: https://docs.knime.com/latest/aws_marketplace_server_guide/index.html#install-extensions

Just to add that there is a lot of extensions already installed on KNIME Server :wink:

Br,
Ivan

Hi @ipazin,

Thanks for the speedy response. I am trying to download a ‘number to string’ node which I don’t believe comes with the instance. I read the document and it says instructions will be added shortly for adding knime extensions to large servers. I am currently running a t2.large, do you know when the instructions will be released?

thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Number to String node is included by default both on KNIME Server and KNIME Analytics Platform cause it is part of KNIME Core extension which is, well core as name indicates :slight_smile:

Among other things you can find information which node belongs to which extension on KNIME Hub.

For example check it for Number to String node on the right side.

Instance type (t2.large in your case) doesn’t define KNIME Server type.

Br,
Ivan

2 Likes

sorry, I am still new to knime and servers in general, thanks for all your help @ipazin. The reason I am trying to install it is when I execute my workflow on the server I get the attached error. I interpreted this as the server not having this node installed, is this not the case?erroe%203|690x61

Hi Ryan,

can’t see error but don’t think that’s a reason.

Br,
Ivan