Javascript Scatter Plot respects color but ignores size

Hi all,

the Javascript Scatter Plot node seems to ignore size information from the Size Manager (while it works well with the colors assigned by the Color Manager). Is there a way to teach the JS Scatter Plot displaying different sizes per item?

Cheers,

Jan

1 Like

Hi Jan,

unfortunately the Javascript Scatter Plot node is not size-aware, it only considers colors as you already found out. An additional Javascript Bubble Chart node would be in order.

Did you consider using the Bubble Chart node from JFreeChart instead? In it you can configure one of your data columns as determining the radius of each bubble.

Or if you want to stick to a Javascript view, you can always use the Generic Javascript View node and plot a bubble chart with D3.js or Plotly.js. Regarding the latter, I wrote some time ago a tutorial explaining how include and use it:

http://marcoghislanzoni.com/blog/2016/04/29/knime-3-charting-with-plotly-js/

If you look at their examples for a Bubble Chart you should be able to produce one pretty easily:

https://plot.ly/javascript/bubble-charts/

Hope this helps. Feel free to post again here if you get stuck.

Cheers,
Marco.

2 Likes

Thanks, Marco, for sharing your blog post! This is very useful information. I'll try it.

Jan

I would still like to see the new plots support the old features eventually! :-)

-E

1 Like

Hi,

I just voted for you in our bug tracking system on this feature.

Best, Iris 

1 Like

\o/

I tried and the JS scatterplot just accept the color manager and ignores Size and Shapes. It would be nice that you could apply shapes, color and sizes.

1 Like

Hello @Andres_Cardona,

have added +1 to existing ticket. (Internal reference: AP-5995)

Br,
Ivan

Hi,

Please add another +1 from me. With all the new Plotly integration (in which it does not work either) and shift to WebPortal Views + interactivity features I think this would be a very important addition. Maybe meanwhile add a warning that Size properties are unused. I spent some time playing with different scaling options since I thought this would be the culprit.

@jpfeuffer it’s noted.
Ivan

1 Like