Joiner Node

I am using KNIME to combine Excel files (identical columns in each file). One file is Q1 (OCT, NOV, DEC), and the other is Q2 (JAN, FEB, MAR). The result only has Q1. I am using an inner join. Any advice?

I shifted from a JOINER node to a CONCATENATE node. Is this correct?

Hi @Bob_Nelson , can you please share your workflow and sample data, and what expected results you want from the sample data?

We need to understand what you are trying to do. What do you mean by “combining” here?

For example, are you trying to have all columns appended after each other? Would that mean that whatever is on the rows of Q1 relate to whatever is on the rows of Q2?

Or are you trying to append the rows of Q2 after the rows of Q1? In that case, what will happen to the headers?

1 Like

It’s very simple. I want to combine the two files (which share the same columns) into one file. Each file is 600,000 rows, so I can’t do this in Excel due to the row limitation. I believe I should be using CONCATENATE rather than JOINER. I guess I want to append with common headers.

Using Joiner or Concatenate all depends on what you want to do. We can’t suggest anything if we can’t understand what you want as expected results.

Joiner would be mostly if you want to append the columns after each other, and generally concatenate will append after the rows, in the same columns if the column names are the same, and in appended columns if the column names are different.

So, both works for different results. For the joiner you tried, you said you did an inner join. I am not sure what you are inner joining here (again, can’t see your data), but generally you would want to do an outer join here.

If you can show some sample input data and what the expected output you want, then we can give you the correct solution.

1 Like

I apologize if I’m not being clear. The data is company proprietary.

Basically, both files have column headers A, B ,C, D, etc. Each row has transaction data. If column B is month, it would have OCT, NOV, DEC in the first file. It would have JAN, FEB, MAR in the second file. I want one combined file with column headers of A, B, C, D, etc. Rows with OCT through MAR data in column B.

1 Like

Hi @Bob_Nelson , I understand that the data is company proprietary, but you can create some sample data and show what you want as results :slight_smile:

If both files have the same column names, then you can use concatenate, which will append the records of the 2nd file to the first file.

Thank you for your feedback. I will try to create dummy files.

Concatenate should work for what you are trying to do.

Originally, I misunderstood how your data was. I thought that JAN, FEB, MAR, OCT, NOV, DEC were column headers, and I tried to illustrate a sample data and results as this:

But with the new info you provided, it looks like the data is more like this:

And as you an see, the concatenate will combine the 2 dataset together

7 Likes

Your second example is it! Thanks!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.