Kafka Consumer terminates before 'stop criterion'. How can it run forever?

Hello! I am using kafka consumer in order to get data from my local kafka server.

The problem is that it terminates before the ‘stop criterion’ which is set to ‘2021-12-31’ before it doesn’t receive new messages (please see picture). While, I want the node to run continuously in order to conduct real time event processing.

So, how can I make the node consume data until ‘2021-12-31’? Namely, how can the kafka consumer node run continuously?

Thank you,
Elisavet

Hi,
does it stop with an error or just returns a couple of messages? Is it always the same number of messages that are returned, or does it vary?
Kind regards,
Alexander

Hello,

I have created a test topic with only 8 messages. The connector stops when it consumes all messages. It doesn’t show any error.

What I want is the Knime connection to kafka to be always open, in order to conduct real time stream processing. Is that possible?

From what I’ve seen so far, the Kafka Consumer terminates when it consumes all messages, although I have configured the ‘stop criterion’ to be ‘2021-12-31’, but it stops earlier.

Thank you,
Elisavet

Hi,
Could it be that the stream is closed once the 8 messages have been written into it and therefore KNIME thinks nothing else can be read and terminates? According to this state diagram a stream can be shut down: https://kafka.apache.org/11/javadoc/org/apache/kafka/streams/KafkaStreams.State.html.
Kind regards,
Alexander

Hello,

The Kafka server is always up and running, same as Kafka producer. I never shut them down when I work with knime.

So is it possible to have “indefinitely” open the Knime connection in kafka? Any ideas?

Thank you,
Elisavet

Hi,
It’s not about the server itself, but the stream. How are you writing the 8 items into it? Maybe the producer closes the stream after writing the items and by doing that tells KNIME that there will never be another item.
Kind regards,
Alexander

Hello,

I am writing the messages via the Kafka Producer CLI. And the stream closes only with Ctrl+C, but I nerver do it. Therefore the producer is always open.

Thank you,
Elisavet

Hi,
I had a look into the node description and it says:

Stop when message timestamp exceeds Consumes all messages created up until the selected date & time. If the selected date & time is in the future, the execution stops once a poll request returns no messages.

So it seems like no matter the setting, when a poll does not return any messages sent in the last poll timeout range, the node terminates. Maybe you can use the node in a loop to make it work the way you want it?
Kind regards,
Alexander

Hello,

Thank you for your help. The ‘loop’ solution seems viable.

Have a nice day,
Elisavet

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.