Knime 3.1.0 behaving strange

Dear all,

We have been using Knime for quite some time, and we recently upgraded to Knime 3.1.0 Full.

Me (on Arch Linux) and my colleague (on Windows 7) are experiencing quite the same strange behaviours:

- the workbench is much slower in response, it is not as fluent as before. For example just dragging a node around is hiccupping (lagging) much more than on version 2.x.

- it is using much more CPU resources than before 

behaviour predictions bound to outsmart you into buying
I don't know too much about the running options, but this is the full command (extracted from `ps aux`) for v3.1, which might indicate what is going wrong: 

/opt/knime-full_3.1.0/jre/bin/java -server -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dosgi.classloader.lock=classname -XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions -XX:+UnsyncloadClass -Dknime.enable.fastload=true -XX:CompileCommand=exclude,javax/swing/text/GlyphView,getBreakSpot -Xmx6G -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.disablePrinting -jar /opt/knime-full_3.1.0//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.100.v20150511-1540.jar -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64 -showsplash -launcher /opt/knime-full_3.1.0/knime -name Knime --launcher.library /opt/knime-full_3.1.0//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1.300.v20150602-1417/eclipse_1612.so -startup /opt/knime-full_3.1.0//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.100.v20150511-1540.jar --launcher.overrideVmargs -exitdata 39b8016 -vm /opt/knime-full_3.1.0/jre/bin/java -vmargs -server -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dosgi.classloader.lock=classname -XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions -XX:+UnsyncloadClass -Dknime.enable.fastload=true -XX:CompileCommand=exclude,javax/swing/text/GlyphView,getBreakSpot -Xmx6G -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.disablePrinting -jar /opt/knime-full_3.1.0//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.100.v20150511-1540.jar

this is the full command for v2.x

/opt/knime-full_2.12.2/jre/bin/java -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -server -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dosgi.classloader.lock=classname -XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions -XX:+UnsyncloadClass -Dknime.enable.fastload=true -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.cairoGraphics=false -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.useCairo=false -Xmx1024m -jar /opt/knime-full_2.12.2//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.v20110502.jar -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64 -showsplash -launcher /opt/knime-full_2.12.2/knime -name Knime --launcher.library /opt/knime-full_2.12.2//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1.100.v20110505/eclipse_1407.so -startup /opt/knime-full_2.12.2//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.v20110502.jar --launcher.overrideVmargs -exitdata 3a9001a -vm /opt/knime-full_2.12.2/jre/bin/java -vmargs -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -server -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dosgi.classloader.lock=classname -XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions -XX:+UnsyncloadClass -Dknime.enable.fastload=true -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.cairoGraphics=false -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.useCairo=false -Xmx1024m -jar /opt/knime-full_2.12.2//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.v20110502.jar

- some strange UI behaviours: when you copy one node and paste it multiple times, the newly added copy is always placed a few places to the right and down, so when pasting it ten times you end up with a diagonal row of copied nodes where the last ones end way away from the original one. This is not a major thing, but just quite frustrating.

- In Linux, when dragging a new node from the Node Repository into the workflow, the node is not dropped at the same location as where you pointed to. Also, when connecting a new node to an existing node, by highlighting the new node and double clicking on the new node in the Node Repository, that new node ends up in a random place, instead of on the right of the highlighted node. This does not happen in v2.x

On my Linux machine, I use the following Java:

java version "1.7.0_91"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.6.3) (Arch Linux build 7.u91_2.6.3-3-x86_64)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.91-b01, mixed mode)

Did we do something wrong when updating? Do we need to install something to improve speed? Any other suggestions?

Best regards,
Koen

Hello Koen,

I am sorry that you have problems with the software. Can you please upgrade to v3.1.1 and check whether these bugs are fixed by now?

The strange UI behavior is actually intended as far as I know. But I'll have a look whether there are improvements/changes planned.

Your Linux problems sound unsettling. Can you please check if they persist in v3.1.1? If they do I will look into it and get it fixed as soon as possible!

Best,
Ferry