Knime 4.5.1 Interactive View Pop-Up

Good Morning,
Do you know why the interactive view launcher works in Knime 4.3.2, but doesn’t seem to similarly work in Knime 4.5.1?
I was able to configure my Knime 4.3.2 File>Preferences>JavaScript Views>Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) Browser to point to my C:/…Chrome.exe in order to launch the interactive view for a Bar Chart component. However, in Knime 4.5.1 within the same File>Preferences>JavaScript Views>Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) Browser section, the “Browse…” option is greyed out, which is preventing me from pointing to my C:/…Chrome.exe. This is happening on a Windows computer, but I’m told that it doesn’t happen on a Mac computer. Any thoughts? Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Joe S.

Hello @joesobo1 ,

welcome to the Forum!

The “Path to browser executable” and “Additional command line arguments” were not used anymore and were removed. It can not be enabled from version 4.4 AP.
At he moment these options are “greyed and inactivated” in the dialog box as you said but they are not removed from there yet. It will happen together with other developments in the future.

Have a nice day!
Dora

@dora_gcs
Dora
Thanks Dora
Are you suggesting that the “Path to browser executable” and “Additional command line arguments” in the File>Preferences>JavaScript Views section is available in Knime 4.3.2, but NOT available in Knime 4.5.1? I don’t have a Knime 4.4 AP instance installed on my machine.
What you’ve mentioned makes sense, but I want to confirm the Knime versioning that we’re discussing.
Are you suggesting that the “Path to browser executable” and “Additional command line arguments” will become available again in newer Knime versions to be developed in the future?
Thank you for your consideration of my request.
Sincerely,
Joe S

Hello @joesobo1 ,

Yes, correct, the “Path to browser executable” and “Additional command line arguments” in the File>Preferences>JavaScript Views section is available in Knime 4.3.2, but NOT available in Knime 4.5.1.

These options have been removed (since version 4.4.) and are no longer available.

Best

@dora_gcs When using Knime 4.5.1 and going to the File>Preferences>JavaScript Views section, the “Additional command line arguments for chosen browser:” free form box is editable and allows for an entry. Do you know the syntactical command line argument that can be entered here to allow for a proper launching of the Interactive View?
If you can provide me with a few different command line arguments or how I could locate a repository of choices, I can try their entry to see if that resolves the pop up blocker error message. Thanks

Hello @joesobo1 ,

this is a fresh 4.5.1 install:

“Path to browser executable” and “Additional command line arguments” are disabled option.

I believe somewhere else is the root cause of your problem. Do not you mind to share that part of your workflow which is not running and / or share us more detail about what would you like to achieve?

Regards

@dora_gcs
Only when I switch to “Bundled Chromium Browser (version 91)” does the “Additional command line arguments for chosen browser:” free form box become editable. The below screenshot is from my Knime 4.5.1:

Do you know where I can find the correct command line arguments to point directly to my Chrome.exe or override the inherent Interactive View launch protocol to allow my Chrome.exe to open the pop out window properly? Thanks

Hello @joesobo1 ,

I discussed it internally here is the sum of our developers answer:

CEF is the best (and soon only) option.
The option “bundled Chromium Browser” gets visible when the extension KNIME Bundled Chromium Browser (legacy) – KNIME Hub is installed. But it’s not recommended to be used anymore. CEF uses a Chromium browser which we ship within AP. Meaning it won’t use the user own Chrome.exe. There is no way to use the user own Chrome.exe anymore, we don’t support it anymore because there is no need to do so. At least it’s not a common use case.

If you still having problem with your WF please share it or at least the relevant part of it, to help us to better understand your use case.

Best regards,
Dora

@dora_gcs
Dora,
Thanks for your response. When you say, “CEF uses a Chromium browser which we ship within AP.”, what do you mean exactly? Specifically, the section re: “ship within AP”. If you could elaborate more on what that means that would be great.
Additionally, the KNIME Bundled Chromium Browser (legacy) – KNIME Hub hyperlink didn’t work in 4.5.1 re: the drag and drop extension install functionality.
Thanks,
Joe

@dora_gcs Dora, did you have a chance to review my prior note from 10/06/22 @ 8:50AM EST? Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks

Hello @joesobo1 ,

“CEF uses a Chromium browser which we ship within AP” means it is built-in in the Analytics Platform. It’s a more seamless experience. It allows that browser views are embedded right into the application or optionally be opened in a separate window. The bundled Chromium only works as separate window, it can’t be embedded.

Regarding to how to install extensions and set up the update sites please read our documentation: KNIME Analytics Platform Installation Guide

Best regards