Knime is not responding

Dear all,

I have developed a large workflow with several metanodes that I cannot edit any more. After restarting KNIME, I can reset nodes at the very end of the workflow, but when I try to select (just left click) or configure a node close to the beggining of the workflow, knime stays busy for a very long time (one CPU constantly working). I am using the latest version of knime (2.5.4) with the following settings:

-Dorg.knime.container.cellsinmemory=1000

-Xmx768m

-XX:MaxPermSize=192m

This is getting a bit critical now; any advice on how to get going again will be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Panos

Hi Panos,

It seems as if the workflow is stuck in the configuration (a step that immediately follows a reset and that's supposedely very quick but which doesn't seem to be the case for you). 100% CPU utilization tells me that it is still doing "something". Does the workflow render correctly when you resize the application?

Can you use jstack and extract the call stack of the java application? (See my first comment in this thread on how-to: http://tech.knime.org/forum/knime-general/updating-knime-0#comment-25647)

Thanks,
  Bernd

Hi Bernd,

thanks for looking into it. I opened the workflow (imported it into knime without copying in the workspace). The workflow seems to open ok and resizing does not seem to cause issues. However, when I try to select one of the nodes close to the beggining of the workflow knime stays busy for long time.

I got fourstacks while knime was busy doing "something". The fifth was after KNIME finishes this "something" and the node was finally selected.

Many thanks,

Panos

PS: Some of the tables have columns with multiline long text (clobs); something like 50-100 mb of data. Is there any chance these cause the problem?

Hi Panos,

I don't think the data is the problem (at least I don't see it in the stack files). Let me bring this up in the group to see if they have any thoughts.

My first diagnosis is that there is a problem with the enablement of all the menu options (such as "Reset", "Configure..." etc). There is a call to the workflow engine that searches for executing downstream nodes (because then "Reset" must be disabled). There seems to be an inefficiency in this method call.

Bernd