Knime Server Installation (Did not access web portal because of improper behavior of starting KNIME server)

Hi

RHEL (8.1)
Apache-tomcat-9.0.83
knime-full_5.1.2

I installed KNIME server using Installer jar file as mentioned in KNIME official docs. following are the issues which I’m facing after the installation.

1. KNIME server prompted that KNIME installed successfully but KNIME server did not start when checking the java process.
  2. even when i manually started the KNIME server from the /knime_server/apachetomcat/bin/ ./startup.sh
  3. i have also created starting and stopping KNIME server through systemctl but still its starts for few seconds and then stops.
  4. There are no error generated in the log
  5. so as no services started it didn’t up the webportal.

Please provide an work around so that i can proceed further

Following are the errors which im facing

When started
Loaded: loaded (/usr/local/lib/systemd/system/knime-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/knime-server.service.d
└─override.conf
Active: active (running) since Fri 2024-02-09 00:01:45 PST; 10s ago
Process: 4705 ExecStop=/usr/local/libexec/knime-server/server stop (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Process: 5845 ExecStart=/usr/local/libexec/knime-server/server start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 5843 ExecStartPre=/bin/chown $USER /var/run/apache-tomcat.pid (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 5842 ExecStartPre=/bin/touch /var/run/apache-tomcat.pid (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 5859 (java)
Tasks: 18 (limit: 49649)
Memory: 174.2M
CGroup: /system.slice/knime-server.service
└─5859 /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk/bin/java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/master_knime/knime_server/apache-tomcat-9.0.83>

Feb 09 00:01:45 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Starting KNIME Server…
Feb 09 00:01:45 localhost.localdomain server[5845]: Tomcat started.
Feb 09 00:01:45 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Started KNIME Server.

When stop [root@localhost conf]# sudo systemctl status knime-server
● knime-server.service - KNIME Server
Loaded: loaded (/usr/local/lib/systemd/system/knime-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/knime-server.service.d
└─override.conf
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2024-02-09 00:03:08 PST; 2s ago
Process: 6309 ExecStop=/usr/local/libexec/knime-server/server stop (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Process: 6065 ExecStart=/usr/local/libexec/knime-server/server start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 6064 ExecStartPre=/bin/chown $USER /var/run/apache-tomcat.pid (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 6062 ExecStartPre=/bin/touch /var/run/apache-tomcat.pid (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 6079 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Feb 09 00:02:36 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Starting KNIME Server…
Feb 09 00:02:36 localhost.localdomain server[6065]: Tomcat started.
Feb 09 00:02:36 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Started KNIME Server.
Feb 09 00:03:08 localhost.localdomain server[6309]: PID file found but either no matching process was found or the current user does not ha>
Feb 09 00:03:08 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: knime-server.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
Feb 09 00:03:08 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: knime-server.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.

Hi @rsaxcena

and welcome to the KNIME community. Just to double check and rule out this being caused by a missing license file: A KNIME Server license was successfully added to the license folder <workflow_repository> and the KNIME Server service owner has read permissions on it?

Best,
Michael

Thanks @MichaelRespondek

As we have not added License details during the installation (Skip during the wizard). Also and the KNIME Server service owner has read permissions on it.

Hi @rsaxcena,

KNIME Server uses Apache Tomcat under the hood. This will often not write log files to the journal, but into an <apache-tomcat-version>/logs folder, where you chose to install KNIME Server (e.g. under /opt/knime_server/).

Would you be able to locate catalina.<date>.log and possibly localhost.<date>.log files there and share them with our enterprise support (support@knime.com)?

Should you have chosen to run the web service on a well-known port (i.e. under 1024), you likely need to configure the service with appropriate permissions.

Two other configuration files that may be helpful for analysis are under <apache-tomcat>/conf/Catalina/localhost/knime.xml and <workflow_repository>/config/knime-server.config.

Kind regards
Marvin