KNIME server read Excel file Execution Fail Direct access to the local file system is not allowed on KNIME

Hi could anyone assist me in understanding why I am unable to execute my KNIME workflow off the KNIME web portal.

I have created Components which get user input parameters successfully off the web portal, but as the workflow reaches the read exel file, the workflow Fails with the following error:
" Excel Reader (XLS) 5:192:179 - ERROR: Execute failed: Direct access to the local file system is not allowed on KNIME Server.
Excel Reader (XLS) 5:192:184 - ERROR: Execute failed: Direct access to the local file system is not allowed on KNIME Server.
"
I have tried setting up the “Read File From” option on the Excel File reader Node to URL and passed the URL variable but I still yield the same error.

I require this workflow to be used by teams whom have files saved on the local drive and I would like the user to be able to go into the web portal upload their file from there local storage and successfully execute the workflow without the hassle of saving the files to the workspace.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have attached screenshots of a basic test workflow that attempts the same action but also fails.

Thanks!

Hello @Miguel_n11,

check bottom two topics for more info:

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Hi,
This has still not helped the error.

Regards,

Miguel

Hi Miguel,

you could set the option

/instance/org.knime.filehandling.core/allow_local_fs_access_on_server=true

within the preferences.epf or the executor.epf file if using server managed preferences (default on Server 4.11.) that allows the otherwise blocked local file system access on the server.

Reference: https://docs.knime.com/2020-07/server_update_guide/index.html#local-fs-access

Or you could use a Temp dir to store the uploaded file within the workflow repository like mentioned in this example:

Michael

2 Likes

Hi Michael,

Thanks for this. We have set the instance local fs access option to true, but still receive an error. Not sure why? I will try use your alternative, Thanks a mill.

Regards,

Miguel