Launching KNIME 4.3 via Eclipse IDE + KNIME SDK 4.3 no longer works

Since 2021-Aug-28 all programmers in my team starting to report KNIME 4.3 unable to be launched via Eclipse IDE 2019-06 + KNIME SDK 4.2/4.3 (2019-12/2020-06).

Here is the exception we got. We did a preliminary debugging by upgrading Eclipse IDE to 2021-06 and KNIME SDK to 4.4 (2020-12) and also JDK 8 to JDK 11, but it gives identical error when we try to launch KNIME via Eclipse launcher.

We also did a complete fresh test with fresh installed Eclipse 2021-06 IDE for Enterprise Application and Web application so default OSGI and other RCP related plugins were already installed. However, the KNIME SDK 4.4 (2020-12) still won’t launch via a completely workspace either.

The problem we have is very similar to this one.

However, the strange part we are having now is that after testing all KNIME SDK version, the launching of KNIME 4.0 and 4.1 are both fine with KNIME SDK 2019-06 and 2019-12 with Eclipse 2019-06 and JDK 8. KNIME SDK 4.2 works fine just right before Aug-27/28. Then suddenly it stop working after restart Eclipse IDE. We upgrade KNIME SDK to 4.3 but it shows similar error as KNIME SDK 4.2. During the test, nothing was installed or updated for Eclipse IDE 2019-06.

So far the tests we run:

1. Eclipse IDE 2019-06 + KNIME SDK 4.0 + JDK 8 => works
  2. Eclipse IDE 2019-06 + KNIME SDK 4.1 + JDK 8 => works
  3. Eclipse IDE 2019-06 + KNIME SDK 4.2 + JDK 8 => NOT working
  4. Eclipse IDE 2019-06 + KNIME SDK 4.3 + JDK 8 => NOT working
  5. Eclipse IDE 2021-06 + KNIME SDK 4.4 + JDK 11 => NOT working

Now the development works are being stopped for the whole company. So it would be great if someone knows exact what went wrong? Thank you in advance.

Here is the error message

!SESSION 2021-09-10 15:18:57.259 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=11.0.12
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -product org.knime.product.KNIME_PRODUCT
Command-line arguments:  -product org.knime.product.KNIME_PRODUCT -data E:\OneDrive\Documents\DT\eclipse-workspace-debug/../runtime-KNIME2 -dev file:E:/OneDrive/Documents/DT/eclipse-workspace-debug/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/KNIME Analytics Platform/dev.properties -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -consoleLog

!ENTRY com.knime.enterprise.client.api 4 0 2021-09-10 15:20:10.530
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent ERROR
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: com.knime.enterprise.client.api [70]
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.hamcrest.library; bundle-version="[1.3.0,2.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.apache.commons.lang3; bundle-version="[3.2.1,4.0.0)"
    -> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.apache.commons.lang3; bundle-version="3.9.0"
       org.apache.commons.lang3 [213]
         No resolution report for the bundle.  Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.knime.core; bundle-version="[4.0.0,5.0.0)"
    -> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.knime.core; bundle-version="4.4.1.v202108201740"; singleton:="true"

Hi @kuandannyan,

Which target definition are you using? Can you share that with use?
This seems looks like a problem with that.

best,
Gabriel

Hi @gab1one

Thank you for the following up.

I am current using the following setting. It is also a completely empty workspace generated just for KNIME SDK testing purpose

Eclipse IDE: 2020-06 for RCP and RAP Developers
https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/2020-06/r/eclipse-ide-rcp-and-rap-developers
(no additional configuration or plugin install, just unzip and use the download copy)

JDK: 1.8_0_271

KNIME SDK setup: branch knime-sdk-setup release/2020-12

(imported via Git/Clone URI option, select branch Release 2020-12)

Target Platform: KNIME-AP.target (4.3)

The update site in the target is the following one:
KNIME Analytics Platform 4.3 Update Site - https://update.knime.com/analytics-platform/4.3/

I just installed every features from the site.
Here is the target configuration
Processing: KNIME-AP.target…

Here is the site configuration, I did not install anything to Eclipse directly. Only did configuration within target configuration

Hope the info is sufficient. Please let me know if any more info is needed. Thank you in advance

Best Regards

Kuan

@gab1one

I also have a full log file just for this problem. Basically it failed to launch due to multiple unresolved plugins and finally have a runtime exception says no application id has been found1631527139937.log (124.3 KB)

@gab1one
Hi Gabriel,

Here is the funny part. I managed to get it running but

1. The default target file KNIME-AP.target and KNIME-complete.target both work if no additional modification was made. The KNIME can be launched without any problem (in both cases).
  2. For some reason, if I choose to install more plugins say the whole feature collection “KNIME & Extensions” for example, then launch KNIME in Eclipse starts to throw these errors I just uploaded

I guess at this point, it basically narrows down to some plugins in the feature collection probably having building problem due to different dependent plugins version or just having runtime dependency issue.

Hope this may help a bit further.

Best Regards

Kuan Yan

Hi @kuandannyan,

I see what is going on there. If you use the editor to change the installed plugins, it tends to delete what is already there and thus creating a target platform that does not work.

1. You need to wait after opening the editor, until the checkboxes appear, before selecting anything:

Then you should be able to select additional plugins.

2. Checkout the Source tab in the target platform editor:

There you can see the actual target definition.

3. If you enable Quick Diff based on changes in the git repo in your eclipse settings:

Then you can quickly see what changed in that file and if eclipse accidentally removed some features that you need.

best,
Gabriel

1 Like

@gab1one Hi Gabriel, ok I will have a check ASAP. Thank you for the follow up. BS Kuan

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.