Limit CPU usage by executor

Hi KNIME Team,

We had some issues when some workflows using almost all CPU.
I just read in some post of this forum just the possibility to add a minimum requirement of CPU for workflow but not a limitation.

We have 8 Cores, and we have set up the knime.ini file with parameter:
-Dorg.knime.core.maxThreads=7
but this is not also working 100% as not all nodes respect this parameter.

Because of that, I was thinking to install 2 executors on the server in order to use just half of the tokes for each so that then we make sure that one process will not fully overload the server and second executor will be still available for other workflows. However, wile trying to install the additional service we got an error as this cannot be installed.

Could you please help on that?
Or what can we do in order to avoid 100% CPU usage of the server?

BR,
Marc

Hi @MarcEM,

As per your current configuration we can see that you are restricting your executor to work only with 7 threads(2*#Numberofcores=7 threads), Here the number of cores used (3.5 cores) is lesser than what is available(8cores)to your executor. If you want to force all of the cores available to your executor then we suggest you to remove the maxThreads parameter on knime.ini and also we recommend you to increase your maximum heap space size (-Xmx) on your KNIME executor for it to function well. I hope this helps in resolving your CPU issues.

Regards,
Nagarjun S

Hi @MarcEM ,

I hope you are doing fine, In case of any further queries please revert us support@knime.com and we can further discuss on the topics.

Regards,
Nagarjun S

Hi Nagarjun,

The issue we had in the server is that we have an 8 cores machine and the CPU in server was 100% used and this caused the server to fail.

I thought the best way will be to restrict CPUs used by KNIME to make sure we do not reach 100% usage of CPU, but this does not work, so we will split the cores in 2 executors/servers so that the current server is not overloaded.

BR,
Marc

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.