Local File Browser Configuration and KNIME protocol issue

Hi. I have a workflow that starts with a component that contains a Local File Browser Configuration node. If a KNIME protocol URL is entered (e.g. a mountpoint-relative URL), the node produces a URL variable that converts the KNIME URL to a file URL that points to a location in a temp directory (and a variable that captures the same file path to the temp location).

The workflow then performs long running calculations. Sometimes I run only half the workflow, close KNIME and when I return the next day I want to continue the workflow. The latter part of the workflow uses the location of that file, but unfortunately that temp directory no longer exists, resulting in an error.

The Local File Browser Configuration node doesn’t expose the KNIME URL which I could resolve using the Explorer Browser node, for example, so there doesn’t seem to be an easy way around the issue, short of copying the file to a known location (unless I’m missing something). Any suggestions?

Possible node changes?.. Would it be possible to produce a third variable that captures the original text entered by the user? Or perhaps an option to produce a KNIME URL instead of a file URL if a KNIME URL was entered?

Thanks
Don

Hi @dnaki,
I don’t really see how this is a problem of the KNIME protocol. Isn’t the problem that the temporary directory is deleted in-between? How would returning a KNIME URL solve that? Sorry if I misunderstood something here. Can you maybe post a picture of your workflow?
Kind regards,
Alexander

Hi Alexander. Thanks for the response.
The problem is a combination of the deleted directory, and the lack of a KNIME URL to relocate the original file again.

Here’s the component containing the Local File Browser Configuration node, and the KNIME URL the user entered, as well as the variables produced by the node:

Once the temp dir is deleted, how can I locate the original file?
If I had the original KNIME URL, however, I could do this to locate the file:

Thanks
Don

Hi Don,
Thanks for the explanation! That is really a tough case. Maybe the best course of action is to use the Copy/Move Files node to put the file into the workflow folder before doing anything else?
Kind regards,
Alexander

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.