Mac OS X support?

Is there any plan to support os x? Thanks, and I look forward to playing with this software more.

Well, we would like to support Mac OSX but Java AWT and Eclipse are rather incompatible on that platform. See also
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=67384
(among many other threads on this issue)

We were in touch with someone from Apple who suggested a few fixes but none of those really solved the problem. Also the preview version of java 1.6 seems to have serious problems with Java AWT and Elcipse SWT. So our workarounds resulted in bits&pieces running but KNIME still being very instable.

berthold wrote:
Well, we would like to support Mac OSX but Java AWT and Eclipse are rather incompatible on that platform.

How can that be? Given that Eclipse runs fine on Mac and also bioclipse (another eclipse based extension project - www.bioclipse.net)

It's not a problem of Eclipse and Mac OSX per se. Rather it is a problem when trying to mix Eclipse's own graphic stuff (SWT) with native java thingies (AWT/Swing). There seems to be a problem with event pipes not being shared properly. Eclipse (and probably Bioclipse) only use SWT and do not try to mix in Swing/AWT components...
But I do agree with you: "how can that be?!". It seems neither the Eclipse nor the Apple people seem to care much - there are tons of complaints about this on various forums and they have been there for at least a year now...

Thanks for the update. I hope one of them sorts it out, I'd really like to try knime (without having to go to a different computer!)

No need to swap machines - what's wrong with Linux or Windows on your Mac? ;-)

berthold wrote:
Well, we would like to support Mac OSX but Java AWT and Eclipse are rather incompatible on that platform. See also
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=67384
(among many other threads on this issue)

According to the bug report it is fixed!

There are a couple of linked bugs
Is this the bug I should now vote for?
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=145890

I believe this "bug fix" is something we tried before - using the Apple SWT compatibility pack still did not solve all issues.
But we will check this out again to see if a new version has crept up that fixes the problem. Looking at the other bug report makes me doubt they really fixed the underlying problem though...

berthold wrote:
I believe this "bug fix" is something we tried before - using the Apple SWT compatibility pack still did not solve all issues.
But we will check this out again to see if a new version has crept up that fixes the problem. Looking at the other bug report makes me doubt they really fixed the underlying problem though...

Let me know if the problems are solved, I think this would be a great application to have available on Macs

Dear knime developers,
Is there new info on apple macos support on knime :?: Is the bug identified and has a bugreport been submitted ?
:arrow: Can we help to resolve / identify the issue(s) ?
There are few workarounds for those on PowerPC hardware: we cannot dual boot into windows (or run a virtual machine for knime), and emulating is too slow.
My quad G5 system is too new and still quite powerfull enough for my other needs - so I can't replace it just to run knime on a virtual machine.
Thx
--
peter

We are still struggling with the Mac OSX version of KNIME. The lastest problems relate to issues regarding the drag&drop of nodes to the workflow not so much the SWT/AWT bridge. There were also some problems with KNIME views and the cocoa environment.
Nicolas is our expert for these things, he is going to look into it some more but the last time we tried (only a few weeks ago), things did not seem anywhere close to stable at all.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated! Setting up a developer version of Eclipse with our code base should not be a big problem but please let us know if we can be of any help. I'd be interested to hear what problems you encounter - and even more if you have any ideas how to solve those...

- Michael

Hello Peter,

just a short follow-up, we tried using KNIME with the latest java (1.5) and eclipse (3.4)-version.
We still experience the problems with the drag & drop operation with nodes and the KNIME views. Everything else (dialogs, node execution etc.) seems to work fine now.

We are trying to identify these bugs and solve them (or get them solved) at the moment. If you are interested in a developer version for testing and bugreporting, please write me an email: nicolas.cebron(at)uni-konstanz.de .

I'll report any progress in this thread..

-Nicolas

short update:

the drag & drop operation has been reprogrammed by Fabian Dill and now works perfectly well under Mac OSX too.

We're still encountering problems with the NodeViews of KNIME, sometimes they do not get updated or stay empty.

It looks like some progress has been made on this front. If you want anyone to test this I'd happily volunteer.

Nicolas wrote:
short update:

the drag & drop operation has been reprogrammed by Fabian Dill and now works perfectly well under Mac OSX too.

We're still encountering problems with the NodeViews of KNIME, sometimes they do not get updated or stay empty.

What is the latest stage on the Mac OS X front? Is there way I could test the mac version?

No news so far. We still encounter problems.
You are welcome to download the KNIME sources and try for yourself...

- Michael

Hello there,

any news on Knime for Mac OS X? :slight_smile: Or any news on a new Knime Version? A Developer Blog would be a good enhancement to the site.

Greetings

Martin

…the real problem is the distributed nature of the news on our site, it seems. Elsewhere (http://www.knime.org/blog/knime-mac-os-x) we have commented on a test version of KNIME on Mac OSX. With KNIME2.1 (to appear in late October) we will also launch an experimental version for Macs - fully functional very likely, but not thoroughly tested even more likely.

Michael

OK, so KNIME 2.1 working well on OSX 10.5.8. Now down to work.

Transferring workflows from the Win32 version, I find several nodes missing:

Distance matrix
Time series
Image processing
Neighborgrams

Are these available on the OSX platform?

Thanks,

Simon

The missing nodes will be available soon in the OS X Version. I’ll keep you posted on the status.

• Dominik