Microsoft Authentication failing on KNIME v4.6.4

I just updated from KNIME Desktop v4.6.2 to v4.6.4 and I’m getting this error when using the Microsoft Authentication nodes in “username/password” mode:

ERROR Microsoft Authentication 3:1645 Execute failed: Cannot invoke “java.util.Map.entrySet()” because the return value of “com.microsoft.aad.msal4j.HttpRequest.headers()” is null

I have recreated the node to no avail. Interactive authentication mode works as a workaround, but we use credentials files to run these workflows unattended. Can someone confirm whether this is a bug or that it’s working internally? Thanks!

Hi @AndrewDevlin,

thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have seen this pop up in another case and are currently investigating with our developers. We will update you when we know more.

Kind regards
Marvin

1 Like

Hi @marvin.kickuth - any update on this issue? If there are patches coming out to rectify for AP and Server, is there any ETA on these?

Hi @supersharp,

our developers are still investigating the issue. I don’t have an update to share currently, but we are tracking this forum thread, so that we won’t forget to reply here when we know more. :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Marvin

Hello @AndrewDevlin and @supersharp ,

thank you for your patience during this investigation!

Unfortunately we can confirm that this behavior is a regression introduced with Analytics Platform 4.6.4 (As a consequence 4.7.0 is also affected.)
The regression ‘only’ affects the Office 365 extension, and only if the customer has a special Azure AD setup with federation. (That is the reason why we did not catch the regression during testing.)

Our developers have already opened a ticket with high priority to solve this issue.

In the meantime as a workaround the only what we can suggest to temporarily use the ‘Interactive Authentication’ and store the acquired access token as part of the node settings. Unfortunately the token needs to be refreshed periodically. (How often depends on the user’s Azure AD settings.)

I hope the ‘Interactive Authentication’ method could be used for your cases!

I am sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding!
Dora

2 Likes

Thank you for confirming. Can you please confirm which server version this issue impacts, specifically? We use the user/pass auth extensively and if we upgrade to this version, we will need to update and re-deploy a ton of workflows.

Hello @AndrewDevlin , and @supersharp ,

the affected version is Analytics Platform 4.6.4, and 4.7.0.
The fix will be shipped with AP 4.7.1
If this issue cannot wait until the 4.7.1 release please contact us via support@knime.com to discuss the further possibilities to resolve this case.

Kind regards,
Dora

3 Likes

I found there was 4.6.5 to fix this.

KNIME Analytics Platform 4.6.5

Release date: February 1, 2023

Bug Fixes

• AP-19936: Microsoft Authentication node fails with NullPointerException when during Username/Password Authentication on a federated Azure AD Account
2 Likes

Confirming that the issue has been fixed in v4.6.5 and v4.7.1. Thank you, team!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.