Microsoft SQL server connector

I’m struggling to connect to an SQL Server database over vpn in Knime. I know I have valid access because I can run SQL queries against the database in the same VPN session.

I get the following message when I try to execute a connection.

ERROR Microsoft SQL Server Connector 0:2 Execute failed: Could not create connection to database: no sqljdbc_auth in java.library.path

I’ve been struggling with this for some time, can anyone help?

Try to copy sqljdbc_auth.dll to the same folder as your SQL JDBC.

No, that didn’t work. I put it in the same directory as the .jar file, registered in preferences.

By the way, the jdbc directories are in the Knime workspace because earlier I read some advice that they should be there, not, as Microsoft suggest, in c:\microsoft jdbc driver 6.0 for SQL Server.

This was an old recommendation. From KNIME 3.5.3 You need to place driver in the separate directory and re-register including dll.

When you say re-register, do you mean in the Knime preferences?

Yes

I’m afraid that didn’t work. I’m going to download the drivers again, reinstall, reregister, and then let you know, unless you can think of another potential issue… Thanks.

Sorry, I’m new to this but that didn’t work. I’m running Knime 3.5.3 and SQL Server 2016. I’ve installed the latest version of the JCBD drivers *6.4), and it looks like the screen attached. I’ve also copied the sqljdbc_auth.dll into the same directory. I’ve reregistered in Knime prefs, but I wasn’t sure which of the mssql-jdbc-6.4.0.jre9 ones to chose, so I chose jre9. I restarted Knime, and I got a message in the log console immediately, of:

ERROR KNIMECorePlugin Error while starting workbench, some setting may not have been applied properly: com/microsoft/sqlserver/jdbc/ActivityCorrelator has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 53.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0

I went ahead and executed the SQL Server Connector node to try it, but I got the same message as before:

ERROR Microsoft SQL Server Connector 0:2 Execute failed: Could not create connection to database: no sqljdbc_auth in java.library.path

Ditto with the Database Connector node.

I was making good progress with Knime using Excel, but I’ve come to a standstill here! Thanks for your attention.

…forgot the screenshot…

I just check. 6.4 is not working use 6.0. Also, leave in a folder only 1 jar driver you will use.

JRE8 is working for me.

It didn’t work, which wasn’t a surprise, as I tried all that before. Would you be so kind as to share your screen dumps of your own settings so that I can see if I’m doing something stupid? In addition, I see the following warnings when I load up Knime, I can’t imagine that it’s related, but I thought I’d mention it. The last line in the error message is the one which we’ve been trying to resolve.

WARN KNIMEApplication$3 Potential deadlock in SWT Display thread detected. Full thread dump will follow as debug output.
WARN MISSING String Input 1:11:6 Node can’t be executed - Node “String Input” not available (provided by “KNIME AG, Zurich, Switzerland”; plugin “org.knime.quickform.nodes” is not installed)
WARN MISSING String Input 1:12:6 Node can’t be executed - Node “String Input” not available (provided by “KNIME AG, Zurich, Switzerland”; plugin “org.knime.quickform.nodes” is not installed)

Should I try to update Knime? I didn’t install this version myself. I’ve been working locally on one which works fine with Excel, but this version is one on our server which I need to use to look at the data on SQL Server. It is 3.5.3, but maybe there are updates…?

Did you use correct sqljdbc_auth? There are 32 and 64 bit? Also, you can add driver as folder

I have 64 and 86 as my choices for the auth_dll one. Which one should it be? I’ve tried both. For the folder addition, yes I’ve tried that too. It’s still not working. Is Java supposed to be loaded? I’m not sure it is.

Check what version of KNIME 64 or 32 is installed. If you have SQL server database account with name and password, it does not require sqljdbc_auth. If this is working then something with path. Your JDBC folder should be out of KNIME folder.

It’s not clear how to check whether it’s 32 or 64, and when I know, what then? I do have user name and password to connect to SQL Server, and my jdbc is not within my Knime folder. ‘Something with path’… can you explain please?

Good morning. My techie has come back this morning to say that JRE was not installed. Now that he’s done that I can see the data. Problem resolved, thank you for your time. Now to more exciting things in Knime.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.