I have been using Knime server on AWS using the AMI from AWS Marketplace.
I would like to update from 4.10 to 4.11 and migrate to Tomcat.
I understand that I need to perform a “fresh install”.
Can you please describe the procedure that I need to follow, with the particularity that I am using the AWS Marketplace version? In other words, here are my questions:
- Do I need to uninstall all components separately? ( TomEE, Server, Executor ) How ?
- Will I keep my config? ( Users, scheduled flows, workflow repository … )
- Will I keep my licence with the fresh install? ( which is managed via AWS Marketplace )
Thanks in advance!
Apologies for the late response, we have been doing a number of updates to our installs and documentation. Below is the procedure you will want to follow:
First backup necessary files:
- Backup knime.xml file located <tomee-folder-of-4.10>/conf/Catalina/ to a safe location
- Backup the server.xml file located in <tomee-folder-of-4.10>/conf to a safe location
- Backup the userconf.mv.db located in <tomee-folder-of-4.10>/conf to a safe location (This is only needed if you are using local auth and need to preserve the users on your Knime server, otherwise the server.xml file should have all of the AD/LDAP configuration you will need)
- As a precaution please also backup the folder to a safe space in case of any deletion of this in the install or accidental deletion.
First download the server installer jar file from:
-This is the server installer, you will want to run this, and follow the instructions
-Make sure to do the following when installing
-Point the location for workflow repository to the old workflow repository location
-Make sure to check the box for installing a new executor when asked
Once 4.11.2 or whichever version you are upgrading to of 4.11 is installed you will want to:
-replace the knime.xml file located in <tomcat-for-4.11.>/conf/Catalina/localhost/ with the backup server.xml file we took from 4.10.
-replace the server.xml file located in <tomcat-for-4.11.>/conf/ with the backup server.xml file we took from 4.10.
Next steps have two options:
- If your knime_server/ directory has a “knime-latest” link, which links to the current 4.10.* executor, please change this link to now point to the 4.2.2 executor.
- If your knime_server/ directory did not have the “knime-latest” link, and your current executor is showing as knime_executor or knime-full-4.1.* (or something similar), you will want to rename the executor folder to a .old, and then rename the 4.2.2 executor folder to knime_executor, or knime-full-4.1.*
Next you will want to check the “knime-server.config” file in the /config/ folder and check to make sure there are no paths pointing to the old 4.1.* executor, if so, please change to the new 4.2.2 location.
And Lastly, if you are using local authentication, you will want to replace the h2 database userconf.mv.db file in your current <tomcat-4.11.>/conf/ folder with the old userconf.mv.db backup we took of the 4.10..
Will I keep my config? ( Users, scheduled flows, workflow repository … )
-Yes, as long as you do not forget to copy over the old server.xml file as this has the secret key used for encryption which allows scheduled jobs
Will I keep my licence with the fresh install? ( which is managed via AWS Marketplace )
-Yes, you can point the new installation to the license file from the old installation