Multitenancy support

Hello,

I am a newbie to Knime. I have a Spring boot application, which involves multi-tenancy and the databases are supported through flyway.
Since the databases are different but the tables across them are same,
I would like to know, if there is a possibility to get the list of databases and loop through them?
I tried legacy database looping node, but it wasn’t exactly successful and I could not even establish connection to my Mysql server.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hello @Madhu,

and welcome to KNIME Community!

Don’t have experience with Spring boot applications and not sure I understand your use case for using KNIME but in order to connect to your database(s) you need DB connector node(s). In your case MySQL Connector node. Now I’m not sure how looping over a list of databases would look like but for looping over DB tables you can use Table Row To Variable Loop Start node and control database nodes with created flow variables. (Probably similar approach could done for looping over different databases but haven’t tried it or seen it ever…)

Database Looping node is from legacy framework and is not intended for looping over different databases. For completeness I’m adding link to database guide:
https://docs.knime.com/latest/db_extension_guide/index.html

Br,
Ivan

4 Likes

Hi @Madhu , I don’t think you can retrieve the list of databases via Knime…

The MySQL connector, or generic db connector requires that you enter a database name since these connectors are connecting to a db.

Even if you add a dummy/generic db name (of a db that exists of course), you would not be able to run a show databases to retrieve the list of databases.

The DB Query Reader is kind of an encapsulator which basically will run a SELECT * FROM (<Whatever query you write>), so SELECT * FROM (show tables) is not a valid query.

The DB SQL Executor is able to run the show databases, but this node is meant to just execute operations and does not have any data output, so while it’s able to run the command, you will not see the results.

Alternatives:
Option 1:

• Manually retrieve the list of databases and manually save to a table
  • Loop through the list, and inside your loop, establish your db connection while passing the db name dynamically
  • Do your operation

Option 2:
Similar to Option 1, but we want to “automate” the retrieval of list of databases:

• Create a script (batch in Windows, sh in UNIX/Linux) that will execute MySQL show databases in command line, redirect output to a file
  • Have Knime run that script via the External Tool – KNIME Hub or External Tool (Labs) – KNIME Hub
  • Read the list of database from the file generated by the script
  • Loop through the list, and inside your loop, establish your db connection while passing the db name dynamically
  • Do your operation
3 Likes

Hi @Madhu , I found a way, but you will need access to the information_schema database.

Basically, the field schema_name from the table information_schema.schemata contains the list of all your databases.

So, connect to your MySQL db server by connecting to the information_schema database like this:

Then run this query via the DB Query Reader:
SELECT schema_name AS db_name
FROM schemata
WHERE schema_name NOT IN ('information_schema', 'mysql', 'performance_schema')

We’re basically selecting everything, except the 3 default mysql databases that the mysql server uses.

You should have the list of your databases as a Knime table now.

You can tweak your query, for example if your target tables have some pattern in their name (prefix, etc) that identify the tables for this project.

For example:
SELECT schema_name AS db_name
FROM schemata
WHERE schema_name LIKE 'clients_%'

will get list of all databases that start with “clients_”

The do the rest of the steps I mentioned:
Loop through the list, and inside your loop, establish your db connection while passing the db name dynamically
Do your operation

6 Likes

@bruno29a Thank you! That was the solution I was looking for. Now I have to figure out how to loop through the list of tables :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @Madhu , no problem.

For looping through the list of tables, do you mean that you have the list and you are just trying to figure out how to loop through it, or do you mean you need to figure out how to get the list of tables?

If you have the list already in a Knime table, you can use the Table Row to Variable Loop Start – KNIME Hub node.

If you are trying to get the list, you could simply add them manually to a Knime table since they’re the same tables for all the databases, and then use the loop that I mentioned above to loop through the table list of tables.

2 Likes

Yes, this node perfectly works for me. :slight_smile: Thank you once again @bruno29a

1 Like

You’re welcome @Madhu

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.