MySQL connector error (Communications link failure)

Hi all,

After updating to the newest version of Knime MySQL connector stopped working and I receive this error everytime I try to join:

Some info:

• I am using Knime in virtual machine to connect to this database. I recently updated Knime from a version that was 2 years old

• Connection to the database worked fine before and I am able to connect to it through HeidiSQL - seems that the problem is coming from Knime side

• I have tried all the different drivers for MySQL connector

• Also looked at similar errors, however was not able to find a solution

• Other MySQL connections work fine

Any solutions? Thanks in advance!

Hey Wytux10,

The typical issue is that the MySQL server is not accessible from the machine where KNIME is operating.

Some questions to consider include: is HeidiSQL operating on the same machine as KNIME AP? If so, does it utilize the same driver version? Could you please provide the complete error message from the KNIME log?

1 Like

Yes, HeidiSQL and Knime are run on the same virtual machine.

Regarding the drivers - I am less experienced and I am not fully sure. In HeidiSQL I am using these:

Here is detailed log:

2023-02-23 11:31:59,685 : ERROR : KNIME-Worker-21-MySQL Connector 3:288 :  : Node : MySQL Connector : 3:288 : Execute failed: Communications link failure

The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.
com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure

The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLError.createCommunicationsException(SQLError.java:174)
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLExceptionsMapping.translateException(SQLExceptionsMapping.java:64)
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.createNewIO(ConnectionImpl.java:828)
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.<init>(ConnectionImpl.java:448)
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.getInstance(ConnectionImpl.java:241)
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.NonRegisteringDriver.connect(NonRegisteringDriver.java:198)
	at org.knime.database.connection.UrlDBConnectionController$ControlledDriver.connect(UrlDBConnectionController.java:103)
	at org.knime.database.connection.UrlDBConnectionController.connect(UrlDBConnectionController.java:368)
	at org.knime.database.connection.UserDBConnectionController.connect(UserDBConnectionController.java:294)
	at org.knime.database.connection.UrlDBConnectionController.createConnection(UrlDBConnectionController.java:348)
	at org.knime.database.connection.AbstractConnectionProvider.createConnection(AbstractConnectionProvider.java:103)
	at org.knime.database.connection.impl.DBConnectionManager.lambda$2(DBConnectionManager.java:501)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: com.mysql.cj.exceptions.CJCommunicationsException: Communications link failure

at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstanceWithCaller(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
	at com.mysql.cj.exceptions.ExceptionFactory.createException(ExceptionFactory.java:61)
	at com.mysql.cj.exceptions.ExceptionFactory.createException(ExceptionFactory.java:105)
	at com.mysql.cj.exceptions.ExceptionFactory.createException(ExceptionFactory.java:151)
	at com.mysql.cj.exceptions.ExceptionFactory.createCommunicationsException(ExceptionFactory.java:167)
	at com.mysql.cj.protocol.a.NativeProtocol.negotiateSSLConnection(NativeProtocol.java:378)
	at com.mysql.cj.protocol.a.NativeAuthenticationProvider.connect(NativeAuthenticationProvider.java:205)
	at com.mysql.cj.protocol.a.NativeProtocol.connect(NativeProtocol.java:1433)
	at com.mysql.cj.NativeSession.connect(NativeSession.java:133)
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.connectOneTryOnly(ConnectionImpl.java:948)
	at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.createNewIO(ConnectionImpl.java:818)
	... 13 more
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Remote host terminated the handshake
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.handleEOF(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.decode(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readHandshakeRecord(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(Unknown Source)
	at com.mysql.cj.protocol.ExportControlled.performTlsHandshake(ExportControlled.java:347)
	at com.mysql.cj.protocol.StandardSocketFactory.performTlsHandshake(StandardSocketFactory.java:191)
	at com.mysql.cj.protocol.a.NativeSocketConnection.performTlsHandshake(NativeSocketConnection.java:101)
	at com.mysql.cj.protocol.a.NativeProtocol.negotiateSSLConnection(NativeProtocol.java:369)
	... 18 more
	Suppressed: java.net.SocketException: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
		at java.base/sun.nio.ch.NioSocketImpl.implWrite(Unknown Source)
		at java.base/sun.nio.ch.NioSocketImpl.write(Unknown Source)
		at java.base/sun.nio.ch.NioSocketImpl$2.write(Unknown Source)
		at java.base/java.net.Socket$SocketOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
		at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketOutputRecord.encodeAlert(Unknown Source)
		at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(Unknown Source)
		at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(Unknown Source)
		... 24 more
Caused by: java.io.EOFException: SSL peer shut down incorrectly
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketInputRecord.read(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketInputRecord.readFully(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketInputRecord.decodeInputRecord(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketInputRecord.decode(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLTransport.decode(Unknown Source)
	... 26 more

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.