New Report Possibilities and Visualization Nodes

Dear KNIME Team,

I am using KNIME for a very long time, therefore I am biased with respect to KNIME 5.1. It has a fresh UI and somebody who has not “grown up” with the classical UI will for sure appreciate it. I started to use it and during that phase I recognized the following:

The new reporting capabilities based on components does not work with the image output node (yet). This feature is for my use cases very relevant and let me stick to the BIRT reporting system, as I create my graphs via ggplot and R as this ecosystems allows easily to adapt the graphs according to my needs (e.g. font size, setting a theme…).

Having this in mind I would have two feature ideas:

1. The image output node (which might also be relevant for photos…) should work within the new reporting system.
  2. The new visualization nodes (which I really like due to their interactivity…) should have possibilities to change font size, background colors… (e.g. via css).

Three general remarks to KNIME 5.1:

• I miss the right click to open the output of a node

• I wish to be able to decrease the size of the node repository “area” (e.g. smaller node symbols…)

• I am very happy that the KNIME team is really engaged to further improve and to create a great KNIME ecosystem. This constant effort (and I was starting many years ago with KNIME 1.???) is really great. Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Jürgen

PS: if I unterstand the new reporting capabilities correctly, it allows different reports created from one workflow (e.g. a report for a customer plus an additional report with internal information. That is really a very good enhancement!

Hey @Juergen,

Great to hear that you like the new reporting in general and I am happy to tell you that an Image View is next on our list. It will work similar to the new Text View (labs) node and will accept an image port for exactly the use cases you have described.
About customising the views, we are not yet entirely sure how we want to handle this. You could either think of some global theming, where you set these settings only once for all of your views, as most of the time you want to have a consistent look and feel of all of your views, or some custom css you have to set for each and every view. What would you prefer?
To tease a bit what to come, we have something in the pipeline that will help you to get an entirely customisable version of the new views. I will not go into more detail for now, but I am really excited about this and we will post more information when we move closer to a release.

Greetings,
Daniel

1 Like

Hi @DanielBog,

it always a pleasure to hear about the “next steps”… I am getting really curious.

My impression is that for most of the users theming of the graphs would be a great step forward, as they (like me) do need a report used in a business environment which should have a consistent look according to the company’s branding and they do not want to get lost in css style sheets. Just my view… :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Jürgen

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hey @Juergen,

I just wanted to inform you that the Image View node was released in 5.2. With that you should now be able to display images of different graphs or any other arbitrary image in the reports.

Greetings,
Daniel

Hi @DanielBog ,

thank you and please apologize my late reply… of course I already installed AP 5.2 :slight_smile:
Best regards,

Jürgen

1 Like