Number precision in the Double Configuration node

Dear Knimers,

In a Double Configuration node, when I try to set a default value lower than 0.0005…

…it immediately rounds it down to 0 when I point the cursor somewhere else:

It is not just the way the number is displayed, it internally rounds the number down to 0. Proof: when I try to multiply the number by a million:

…it is still very much zero.

In the “Preferred renderers” section of the Preferences, the “Number (double)” is set to “Full Precision”, so that is not the problem. So my question is, how can I set the default for the Double Configuration node to a value lower than 0.0005?

Best,
Aswin

2 Likes

Hi Aswin,

I believe there is a problem with the way the default value is visualized (decimals are systematically truncated beyond a precision). While waiting for this to be fixed, I suggest the following work around :

Basically this sets the value in a Java Edit Variable node and warns the user in the configuration menu of the default value with a sentence:

20200622 Pikairos Number precision in the Double Configuration node (dialog)

It is not “the solution” but it may help for the time being …

Hope this is of help.

Best regards

Ael

3 Likes

Dear Ael,

so it is not just me :smile: thanks for your suggestion, I will use that workaround for the time being.

It is funny that, in contract with the Double Configuration window, the Component configuration stores small numbers properly, even when they are not displayed.

Best
Aswin

2 Likes

Dear Aswin

My pleasure and thanks for your kind comments. :smile:

By the way, congratulations for your paper :

This is an impressive work !

All the best,

Ael

2 Likes

Hi there,

seems same issue reported here:

Although I haven’t experienced rounding only how number is displayed. Can you share workflow example of rounding @Aswin?

Ticket opened. (Internal reference: AP-14646)

Br,
Ivan

2 Likes

Dear @ipazin,

I will share the workflow, but the problem only occurs when interacting with the Double Configuration dialog window.

Again, the workflow:
Entering 0.5 into the Double Configuration dialog:
…the workflow has no problem:
Entering 0.05 into the Double Configuration dialog, no problem:
Entering 0.005 into the Double Configuration dialog, no problem:
Entering 0.0005 into the Double Configuration dialog however…
Entering the number as 5e-4 doesn’t help.

When I, instead of trying to enter the value literally into the Default Value field of the Double Configuration node, get the value from a flow variable, as @aworker suggested :
using

and entering the value into the Double Configuration dialog by:
it works perfectly:
So it seems to be a user interface problem. Maybe specific to my system (xubuntu 20.04)? Unfortunately I do not have any other OSs to try it on.

Best
Aswin

p.s. what I wrote in my earlier post

“It is funny that, in contract with the Double Configuration window, the Component configuration stores small numbers properly, even when they are not displayed.”

is not correct. A field in a Component dialog window that comes from a Double Configuration node inside the component suffers from exactly the same problem.

KNIME_project2.knwf (14.6 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks @aworker! :smiley: Working hard on a new version where I make good use of Components; that’s where my question came from.

1 Like

Tnx @Aswin!
Br,
Ivan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.