Offline display of geographic coordinates on the map

hello
I have an Excel file containing some geographic coordinates that I want to display offline on a map
I use lat/lon to geometry and geospatial view nodes, but I need to connect to the Internet to display the geographic coordinates, but I want to see the coordinates on the map without using the Internet.
please help me

Hello @alex1368,

I believe the only way to do this will be a bit involved as you will probably need to use python script.

So, essentially the idea would be to have a local image of a map, and then you can try and overlay the geographic points on this image, which should get to the solution you want.

You will need to first download an image of the map that spans the coordinates you have, but you will need to store somewhere (or just write down) the actual bounds of the image (ie. like how it corresponds in lat and long). In the python script it will probably look something like this:

minimum_lat = ...
maximum_lat = ...
minimum_long = ...
maximum_long = ...

Now the tricky part is converting these coordinates to pixels as we have to work with the image, but it looks like you may not need to do that if you use the libraries geopandas along with matplotlib.

Hopefully this gives you some pointers on how to start!
TL

1 Like