Open and Close Excel File using the bash node

Hi there,
I am currently trying to use the bash node to open and close an excel file. I got it to open the file but had no luck in closing it. It would be great if someone can help me out with the commands needed.
Thanks!

Hi @RijinM,

since this task is mostly about controlling Excel via command line, the KNIME forum probably isn’t the best place to find an answer to the question.

It still is interesting, so should you find an answer elsewhere, we’d be happy to know. :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Marvin

1 Like

Hi @RijinM , I agree with what @marvin.kickuth said, since it’s not really related to Knime.

However, just to add to what you are trying to do, the only way I can think of is to kill the process to “close” the application, in your case Excel. You can look for the process id and then kill the process with this id.

But can you tell us what the full use case is? I mean what happens between the opening of the file and the closing of the file? And what triggers the closing of the file? It could be that it does not make sense that all these happen via Knime.

2 Likes

Use a python or R script to do that (including any transformations) or an RPA tool
Beside that useful answers have already been posted
br

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for all your help! I used the code in the following stack overflow forum in a python script node and ran it and it worked! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.