Parallel execution with doParallel on KNIME Client vs Server

I have problems with parallel execution using the doParallel package on KNIME Server (v 4.4.1). The funny thing is, it works fine within the KNIME Client (v 3.3.2).

Minimal example: I have a single "R Source (Table)" node that contains only a minimal script registering cores:

library(doParallel)
registerDoParallel(cores=3)
knime.out <- data.frame(
  N_WORKERS = getDoParWorkers()
)

Workflow, see attachment.

• When I run this workflow locally in my KNIME Client, it works fine. Finishes in seconds.
  • When I run just the R code on the Linux server (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.3) that hosts the KNIME Server and KNIME Executor, it works fine. Finishes immediately.
  • BUT: When I run the workflow on the KNIME Server, it keeps on running and does not finish.

Does anybody know why this is happening and what to do about it?

Cheers

Ben

Oh, I found the solution. I made a mistake, apparently registering the cores was not the problem.

Apparently, you MUST put the registerDoParallel(cores=N) statement into the same R node as the foreach() statement. Putting it into an "R Source (Workspace)" node and connecting that to another R node via the grey R workspace connection will make R forget about the registered cores and you'll use only a single core.