Problems connecting to a remote oracle server

Hi all

I’m trying to connect (using a database writer node) to an oracle server and I have the following error:
ERROR Database Writer Execute failed: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException

here is my node configuration:

“driver” type=“xstring” value=“oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver”
’“database” type=“xstring” value=“jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=loder.dns.ed.ac.uk)=(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=XE)(SERVER=DEDICATED))”
“user” type=“xstring” value=“system”
“password” type=“xstring” value=“iupha21ttr”
“loaded_driver” type=“xstring” value=“C:\knime_2.0.3\oracle\ojdbc14.jar”
“table” type=“xstring” value=“iuphar_ligands”
“append_data” type=“xboolean” value="false"
config key=“sql_types”
“ligand_id” type=“xstring” value=“integer”
“SMILES” type=“xstring” value=“varchar(255)”

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Hi, getting a timeout exception looks strange to me… If it is really a timeout issue, the database would take more than 5sec to open up the database connection. I assume, that is not the case. The only difference I see is that the URL uses port 1521 - we use 1527, which shouldn’t make a big difference. The only suggestion I currently have is to reformat the URL into jdbc:oracle:thin:@host:port:database_name.
However, when you change the Console level to DEBUG, you will get a much more extensive error messages. Can you please post those messages including the stack trace…
Thanks, Thomas

Thanks Thomas,

I tried your suggestions and went further to check the ports. It was actually a problem with the firewall…!! I have allowed access thru the port and can now happily read and write to the database with no problem.

Thanks again

Chido

hi, i have a connection with knime and my remote Oracle database (10gR2). All is perfect when i use the count sentence (select count(1) from table) in the  querys, but when i use the same query without count sentence (select * from table) the number of rows is different than the first. Note: I am running the query on a fact table in a data warehouse and the number of rows is about 56 millons. are there any restricción with the number of rows using the Oracle thin diver with knime?