Rank each column by value ignoring blanks

Hello, can someone suggest a solution for this: I need to rank the dataset shown here by lowest value as 1 and ignoring blank cells. You can see here that I’ve tried to do it with a simple rank for column “2684” after sorting it.

The issue is that I need the rank to ignore the blanks AND I need each column to have a rank column like this that I created in Excel.

Does anyone have a suggestion

Thank you,

MJRIOUX

One approach is to use a row splitter to remove the rows with missing values, then conduct your ranking, then concatenate the rows with the ones you split earlier to reproduce the table.

If you sandwich this sequence of nodes between a Column List Loop Start node and a Loop End (Column Append) node (and adjust some settings to use flow variables to specify the column names to be split and ranked) you can iterate over multiple columns.

4 Likes

Thank you @elsamuel! This sounds like a brilliant solution. Let me try it and I’ll let you know how it worked out.
MJRIOUX

1 Like

Hi @elsamuel, is it possible to paste the workflow here? I’m struggling a bit to understand this workflow.
Thanks

MJRIOUX

You can upload the knar or knwf file directly, or you can upload the workflow to your KNIME Hub space and share the link.

Thanks but am I missing something? I don’t see how to upload the file. It appears as an image only. Apologies, I’m still pretty new at this.

MJRIOUX

It would help if you actually stated what you were doing step by step.

Do you have a knwf file of the workflow? If not, you need to first export the workflow from KNIME.

Once you’ve done that, the upload button is in the toolbar of the text window that you use for typing replies here.

Hi @elsamuel and @MJRIOUX,
it looks like you talk at cross-purposes about upload off an example workflows. If i understood @MJRIOUX correct he/she asked you @elsamuel if you could kindly upload/share your example workflow.

@MJRIOUX
my Interpretation of the workflow from @elsamuel is.
1.) loop over columns
2.) exclude the rows with missing data from ranking via row splitter.
3.) combining ranked rows with previous excluded missing value rows to achieve the final table.

BR

1 Like

@morpheus, thanks for pointing that out. I misunderstood.

@MJRIOUX, here’s the workflow I posted a screenshot of:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.