Running KNIME on Linux: Workspace location is not saved (selection dialogue at every startup)

Hello to the community,

we have a problem I have not been able to find with the Forum search engine.

We’re running KNIME 4.5.1. under Linux, and for whatever reason, KNIME seems not to save the workspace location defined at startup. The result is that we have to re-enter this information on every KNIME startup. Since we’re trying to automate some workflows with timed jobs, we need KNIME to save the workspace information.

On a Windows installation I also have, I found a reference to the workspace I defined there under
C:\Program Files\KNIME\configuration.settings\org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefs

Interestingly, the .settings folder is NOT present in the install folder under Linux, whereas all OTHER folders in the configuration folder are identical under Linux and Windows. Maybe that might be a clue.

We would appreciate any help you could offer.

Best regards,
Jan

Hi @schuppius ,

Welcome to Knime Community.

On linux, once you have launched Knime AP there will be a hidden folder named “.settings” will be created under the Knime AP folder. Did you already tried to search for the hidden files under the install folder(ls -al) ? Also if possible you can provide us with the output of ls -al command under the install folder to troubleshoot further.

Best,
NS

Hello NS,
I was able to open the hidden file in Linux. The .settings folder is there now, like under Windows. In the .prefs file, it does list the last workspace used (see screenshot), but I still get asked for a workspace each time I start KNIME in Linux.
Do you have any idea why that might be? Maybe some option or settings somewhere that I have to toggle?
Best regards,
Jan

PS: Yes, I do check the box with “Use this as the default and do not ask again” every time I log into KNIME in Linux.

Screenshot:

This usually happens if the current user does not have write permissions on the installation and the org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefs file exists in the installation. Try to either grant user write permissions to the installation or - preferrably - delete the prefs file from the installation.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.