Start a Workflow, e. g. a database query, after a certain time

Have you tried to put the times you want the workflows to start in a table (you might create this table dynamically) and then use a Loop that would activate the wait node.

Hello @Daniel_Weikert ,

you meanlike that ?

Wait Node Config

Greetings

Hello @mlauber71 ,

you mean like that:

Table creator mit verschiedenen Startzeiten

But how can i connect it with the Wait-Node?

Table creator connect to WIAT Node

Greetings

@USCHUKN1ME you could try and use a:

and see if you could integrate that with the Wait node. You might have to add a dated but I have not tried that yet.

About Loops in general there is this collection:

1 Like

Hi @mlauber71 ,

thank your for the tipp.

I have a look to:
Loop example

What must the parameter settings be so that the loop processes all
three lines of the table and passes the start time contained therein to the wait
node?

Table creator connect to LOOP-Node to  WAIT Node

Table-Creator
Table creator mit verschiedenen Startzeiten

Loop Node Settings

Loop Node Config

Wait-Node Settings?
Wait Node Config 2

Thx in advance

greetings

@USCHUKN1ME you could take a look at this example. It uses the current execution time and adds 25, 45, and 65 seconds and then waits until the new shifted time has been reached.

Please note: If the time of day has passed when the workflow reaches the Wait node it will wait until the same time next day!

2 Likes

@mlauber71 thank you.

I will try it.

Where do I have to place the Node LOOP-End? Since I have a
component at the end l’m not sure!

Component am Ende des Worklfows

Component Open-View am Ende des Worklfows

greetings

@USCHUKN1ME you can put a Loop End at the end where what you want to do is finished. If you do not want to collect data but just to end the loop you could use:

Then I would encourgae you to learn about Loops :slight_smile:

@mlauber71 :slightly_smiling_face: thank you !

I set a loop-end node to this position:
Loop-End-Node-Platzierung

I guess it was wrong :grimacing: an di have to use the Variable Loop End Node?!

@mlauber71

Some of the links are “dead”

Loop end would collect the data that comes its way. Variable Loop End would just end the loop and would collect Flow Variables (so you could continue some other tasks afterwards or hand down information from within the loop) - the data handling would have to be done separately within the loop (save to database or disk).

In your screenshot the loop end is within the component. Question is if you want that you would want the component to finish. So it might be better to place a Loop End outside.

@mlauber71

ok understand.
If I patch the node inside the component, it “only” terminates the component but not the workflow.

But the component is also part of the workflow - where do I set the loop end node correctly then?

Loop wo platzieren

:thinking:

greetings

@USCHUKN1ME you will have to have everything that should happen within one iteration of a Loop within the loop. If you have a more complicated setting that might involve some trial and error. And you will have to make sure to ‘reset’ scything you want to be new/resetted at the beginning of each iteration. If you want to transfer information from one loop iteration to the next there are the Recursive Loops (which I still somewhat struggle to grasp :slight_smile: ).

If you want to store intermediate information you can -well- save that as a table and read it back in the next iteration (not the most elegant of solutions).

Then I would suggest you familiarise yourself with the concepts of Loops and Flow variables in general

@mlauber71 thank you, i guess it isn´t easy :see_no_evil:

PS: Many of the links doesn´t work!

@mlauber71 hello again

The problem for a beginner, with such large workflows, is to understand why Node A,B,C,… are required for the loop nodes or perform other functions.

Loop Start
Example Loop by mlauber-LOOP-Start

Loop End

How to arrive at this configuration is not (yet) revealed to me!

I always think of a loop node an if… then… else or a for… to loop.

But I think that’s wrong!

greetings

If then else is another matter and there are other nodes for that.

With loops there are tow important End nodes.

• one would collect i a KNIME table whatever output is there (you can allow changing structures)
  • the variable Loop end would just end whatever is within the loop and just store flow variables with possible informations in them

My impresssion is that you might want to take a step back to the drawing board and make a plan what you want to achieve and familiarize yourself with some KNIME nodes and concepts mentioned in this thread.

Regarding automation / scheduling you have these options

• KNIME server (possibly via AWS)
  • Batch mode via CRON or Task Manager
  • a wait construction I showed above

@mlauber71

actually, it’s relatively simple.
I have a database query and a workflow behind it (end with output of a graphic/dashboard + sending an email). I want to restart the database query + workflow at three predefined times without having to manually reset and rerun the individual nodes.

Start:
Datenbankworkflow Anfang

Workflow after DB Query Node

End of the workflow in the component

My Question?

Which loop node is the right one for this ?
Is it the Wait Node with a Table creator Node before?
:thinking:

Sorry - which one do you mean?

CRASHED :expressionless:

Next try :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, again via the WAIT node. Have now built something about
the task scheduling of Windows, which Starts a batch file which creates
a simple text file and overwrites each time. I configured the WAIT node
in KNIME to wait for the modification of a file and then execute it. That worked.

I try to start the subsequent wokflow behind the WAIT node via a LOOP node. :thinking:

Stupid about the WAIT node is, that it is only executable once and cannot be controlled with it.

Or is there any way to control the WAIT-Node?

WAIT-Node

If anyone here has a bright idea I am very grateful for a tip.

greetings